Post by Eileen » 02 Oct 2017, 14:50

Here are the specs that you may like to see

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/m ... oduct-tabs

Tyros 5 and S970.

Roland

Re: Specs for Genos

Post by Roland » 02 Oct 2017, 19:01

Hello Eileen,

Fantastic, can't wait to play one ! Maybe this is the same link - but just wanted to add that there are also lots of videos of the styles, functions, etc.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/m ... oduct-tabs

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Dickie212

Post by Dickie212 » 02 Oct 2017, 20:41

Hi Eileen,

I was just looking at the specs on the new Genos and was wondering if it will have a songbook feature like the Tyros 5 and will it be backwards compatible with the Tyros 5? I would hate to think that I was unable to use all of my purchased Tyros 5 software on the new Genos. With regards to price, it is showing on one of Yamaha's website as being $6500. That's a lot of cash! Normally whatever it is in dollars is also the same in GBP. I hope it is going to be around the £4000. Is there a definite price yet.
Cheers

Dickie

Deane

Post by Deane » 02 Oct 2017, 21:36

Dickie,
the Songbook has been replaced by the "Play List" but I am not sure how it works.

Deane

Roland

Post by Roland » 02 Oct 2017, 23:48

Hello Dickie,

Yes, the Genos is backwards compatible. Yamaha will convert all Tyros 5 premium packs for Genos and make them available to those customers who had purchased them before. Here is their schedule for the conversion of these packs: https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1124921/

Hope that helps. Cheers, Roland
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 03 Oct 2017, 15:13

Hi Dickie,
A lot of shops are showing price of around £4450 but like always there is room for deals to be done.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Dickie212

Post by Dickie212 » 06 Oct 2017, 18:45

Thanks folks. Can't wait to hear it in the flesh.... :D

Deane

Post by Deane » 07 Oct 2017, 17:28

Does anyone know if the Tyros 4 MS04 speakers will work with the new Genos?

Deane

BramvT

Post by BramvT » 07 Oct 2017, 18:51

In the demos, I still do not hear any classic styles and choir voices, let alone beautiful organ voices.

Only dance and piano music and so forth.

There I do not buy a Yamaha for sure and not for 4500 euros. :shock:

If I do not call myself OHH or AHH, Genos does not impress me ... especially because I have already updated my s970 and am very pleased with classic styles and (expansion) voices.
PSR S-970 (exit : Tyros 1, 3 and 4 black edition)

Roland

Post by Roland » 07 Oct 2017, 20:08

Hello Dean,

The short answer is "No" :roll:

The new speakers for Genos are designed to support the more advanced sound quality of this instrument. So making T5 or T4 speakers compatible would defeat the purpose I guess. But you can always use the standard outputs to an amp or active speakers of whatever brand you feel comfortable with. So lots of options - except for using the earlier Tyros speakers :-)

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 07 Oct 2017, 23:35

The Choir voices and organ voices are still there plus lots of other new sounds. You favorite styles will still be there plus 50 new ones.
The new touch screen will make it a lot easier for many functions. All in All a very nice keyboard.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Roland

Post by Roland » 09 Oct 2017, 16:31

For BramvT:

There are quite a few very nice demos that show strings and classical instruments - so it's not just synth sounds !!!

Eileen had posted a nice demo by Martin Harris a little while back that shows that perfectly - see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFBTh3Y ... e=youtu.be and then jump to time marker 15:00

Also: Did you notice that the Genos has 3 Super Articulation buttons? In this demo, Martin shows how to use that to mute the violin for instance.

So no worries, chin-up - it IS a very nice keyboard :D

Cheers, Roland

keyboard ken

Post by keyboard ken » 10 Oct 2017, 17:51

I wonder if any of the new styles on Genos will play on Tyros 5
Regards
Ken

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 10 Oct 2017, 23:03

Probable not because Genos is using different drum kits and new effects.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Fred

Post by Fred » 11 Oct 2017, 10:56

keyboard ken wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 17:51
I wonder if any of the new styles on Genos will play on Tyros 5
Regards
Ken

Hi Ken

As Eileen has stated, possibly not, however from the specs one gets the impression that style will be more protected than on the Tyros. It says that you cannot save the styles on the genos anywhere. Maybe the modified styles only save as file that will show the modifications and not be a complete style file.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 11 Oct 2017, 11:07

All your Favorite styles will be on Genos but all the OTS have been completely reworked. Really looking forward to hearing them.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Roland

Post by Roland » 11 Oct 2017, 16:21

Hello Folks,

I am not aware if new on-board styles from Genos can be copied to a Tyros 5. I would be surprised if this is possible. Wouldn't that be like asking "can I copy all the new sounds and functions to my older keyboard? " And I can't imagine that this would be what a keyboard vendor would want to do.

But I also think that there will be new styles coming out on MusicSoft for Genos that could potentially work on Tyros 5. I guess here we have to wait and see what comes out on MusicSoft - which always used to describe what instruments are compatible with their stuff.

Fred was getting the impression that styles on Genos are now better protected. I am not exactly sure what he meant :D Heidrun has a section in her "Genos Info" document that talks about software compatibility between Tyros and Genos. It is in German, but I thought I'd translate it for you here, maybe that will help:

Folks who have purchased styles and other music software for their Tyros are of course wondering if this will work on Genos. So here are the ones that Genos can read from what we know today:
- Styles and MIDI files of Tyros keyboards, CVP and PSR 1000
- Registrations (starting with Tyros 2)
- User Voices
- MIDI setup files
- User effects of Tyros 5 and CVP 700
- Multipads

Your own expansion software that you may have created and software from third-party vendors will work as well as long as it had been managed and ran through YEM on Tyros 5.

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 11 Oct 2017, 18:42

Yes Roland,
We know that our old favorite styles will work in Genos but I think a lot are asking if they can use the new Genos styles in there older keyboards and this will be where the protection of the
styles will come in
As for third party voice packs I am waiting to hear if they will need to be converted as the Tyros packs will be. I rather think they will.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Heidrun

Post by Heidrun » 11 Oct 2017, 20:28

Hi folks,

Roland informed me that there's a diskussion here about Genos styles for older keyboards such as Tyros5.

Perhaps you read in my Genos info about the new Revo!Drums?
I am quite sure that the new styles you will find in Genos are programed with this new drumset.

That might be one of the reasons that Genos styles won't fit to Tyros keyboards.
Often new styles use new voices - also in OTS.
Also these are points that a compatibility will not be 100%.
Maybe you'll get an error hint and nothing else if you try Genos styles with Tyros keyboards!

Better is to own Genos - so you can use all styles that were created in the past! :lol:

Kind regards, Heidrun

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 12 Oct 2017, 12:31

Hi Heidrun,
You are right there. I think we all have favourites, even some that have been converted from other make keyboards. I still use a lot from Tecnics.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Heidrun

Post by Heidrun » 12 Oct 2017, 18:28

Many players loved Technics Styles.
But I ask myself, if they can reach a Tyros sound with Megavoices ect.

;-)

Kind regards, Heidrun

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 12 Oct 2017, 22:50

With a little tweaking and addition of some OTS they don't sound bad at all.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Roland

Post by Roland » 12 Oct 2017, 23:34

I think when people move styles from other keyboards to their new keyboard, they don't do that because the new keyboard produces the better sounds. Instead, it might simply be, because they like a particular style they had grown-up with in the past, even if it doesn't have all the new features one can find on the new boards. In the end, all that matters is that we're enjoying music on our keyboards :lol:

Cheers, Roland

Heidrun

Post by Heidrun » 13 Oct 2017, 12:14

You are right as always, Roland! :P

Kind regards, Heidrun

Deane

Post by Deane » 13 Oct 2017, 16:14

For me when I upgraded from the Tyros 3 to the Tyros 4 and carried over many of the styles it was a matter of convenience. I gig up to 6 days weekly and have nearly 3000 songstyles setup on my Tyros 4 - I don't use registrations. All I really need to do is put those songstyles on a thumb drive and I can take the Genos out to a gig the same day it arrives if I wanted to do that. As I gradually learn which Genos styles will make a real improvement over what I have I will use that style with the song.
It would be a real headache to start completely over again on any new keyboard. But there is another concern for me. I play music from the 1920's to about the very early 1960's and what I have noticed is the latest new TOTL keyboards from all the companies are trending to the newer more modern sounds. If the Genos turns out to not fit what I need most for my gigs it will be up for sale and I will buy the new Ketron SD9 Pro, but I am willing to give the Genos a true and honest try. Should have it next week I am told!

Deane

Roland

Post by Roland » 13 Oct 2017, 16:51

Hello Dean,

I think you will be very pleased with the new keyboard. For what you do, you don't have to worry - you can continue using the styles for the genre period you had mentioned, and I bet that there are companies out there that will continue writing new ones for the good old times. So you might not benefit from the new styles but certainly from the improved sounds.

I guess it makes sense for Yamaha to add new genres and styles of what also young people listen to today - including support of DJ stuff. Else there won't be any business for them anymore once I old bugger am gone :lol: Yet at the same time, they honour the previous generations and keep supporting them - even improving on classical and very much so acoustic sounds - so in my view, it's a win-win. As for me, I definitely look forward to hearing one life at one of the shops or demos.

Cheers, Roland

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 13 Oct 2017, 18:41

Hi Deane,
I shall still use my favorite styles and those that suit the old folks sing a longs. It took years to collect them so I shan't be parting with any and over time will probably re-voice some.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Deane

Post by Deane » 13 Oct 2017, 18:54

Eileen,
that has been my approach too. There has always been better sounds and styles on the new keyboards but it takes time to find them and re-voice what we use. I am really interested in how the new drum kits will help improve some of the styles.

Deane

Heidrun

Post by Heidrun » 13 Oct 2017, 21:07

Hi Deane,

my experience with Genos & my styles is that there are no compatibility problems.

But I had not enough time to check the difference to the ones with Revo!Drums.
And so I am also interested what difference they will make.

It is a bit like in December:
We all have to wait until the Christian child will come... ;-)))

Kind regards, Heidrun

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 14 Oct 2017, 11:01

Hello Heidrun,
I hope we will be playing our favorite Christmas songs on Genos. Cant wait to use that lovely Flugel Horn. :P

Tyros 5 and S970.