And The Genos World Moves On

Moderator: Admin

Deane

And The Genos World Moves On

Post by Deane » 03 Oct 2017, 16:56

Well, it seems the Genos hype is over. Most specs and features have been presented to the public and youtube videos have been made available. Forums all over the world have gone nuts with posts and opinions - mostly by folks who knew nothing about the Genos. Really not much more to get excited about except waiting for that knock on the door by the delivery man. So, with all the info and videos being released how has it influenced you in your buy or to not buy decision? Specifically, regardless of your decision, what are the things that brought you to that decision - other than money? Do you think the value is there for the prices we have been told? Is the 76 key only version a turn off for you? If you gig a lot is the form factor a turn off for you? Is the static screen a turn off for you? Did you wish for the touch screen? Do you really care if you can create/edit sounds or styles? What feature is present - or missing that you really wanted?

Just wondering,

Deane

Eileen

Re: And The Genos World Moves On

Post by Eileen » 03 Oct 2017, 17:53

Hi Deane,
I think people are all still exited about owning Genos in the near future and are happy with what they have heard and seen. Any new keyboard is always greeted with mixed reviews and as on another forum will complain that, this is not on it or that could have been put on it and talk a lot of technical jargon that no one understands. I sometimes wonder if they even play as have never heard any music produced by them.
The sounds on Genos are very very good, as to me this is what Yamaha always strives for. It still has the ease of use that we are used to and we will still be able to use our favorite styles that we have collected over the years. The sliders seem to be a lot more positive now and the quick adjustments of the effects knobs give you a lot of scope to alter the sound of a voice very quickly. The screen is a good size so should not be a problem to use. I also like the qwerty keyboard that lets us name things much quicker. All in all I am very impressed. For me I am pleased to see this as a 76 note keyboard that is only a couple of inches longer than Tyros 5 61 note.

Genos and S970.

Roland

Post by Roland » 03 Oct 2017, 19:55

I too like what I have seen so far. It looks "cleaned-up" and I find that it looks very well organized. One of my favourites I heard of so far is that it supports right hand arpeggios. And also that one can "fade-in/out" parts using the sliders. The touch screen also is great because we can expect that with that Yamaha has many more options for some great updates later (because the limitation of the "buttons" is gone).

This morning I watched a YouTube video where Beth Nielsen (a song writer in the US) tells her view on the Genos. What I had to agree with her is that it is now much more easy to access stuff fast without trying to figure out where the function of the sub-sub-function is hiding :-)

Here is the link if you like to watch that too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlYbQemvRkU

I am not sure about the price yet - I hope that the dealers will be open to offer some reasonable discounts like Eileen had mentioned earlier.

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Backporch Music

Post by Backporch Music » 04 Oct 2017, 11:58

Diminishing returns result from "generations" of a product. Genos name doesn't change the fact that it is the "next" generation of Tyros. Relocation of any controls will have users of multiple versions of Tyros relearning where the buttons are. Bigger memory will permit having more and more styles and registrations onboard. 76 keys will fit well with traditional keyboard players. A touch screen is current with today's step in technology. All these "improvements" add small bits of value to focus groups of customers.
As one of the "older" buyers (I probably will) when the instrument enhances the quality of performance, I will embrace the changes on behalf of my audiences. I held off and did not buy a "5" because of similarities to "4". For me, I expect to feel a big step up from "4"
Now where do I keep a Tyros1, a Tyros4 and a Genos? Wife says something will have to go....any suggestions? :lol:

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 04 Oct 2017, 14:16

GOODBYE :lol: :lol: :lol:
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 04 Oct 2017, 14:22

Why keep Tyros 1 and 4. You will still be able to use styles from both of these keyboards as well as Multi Pads and registrations. Have a fresh start with Genos.

Genos and S970.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » 04 Oct 2017, 17:14

Hi Eileen

So will it be a straightforward procedure of plugging in my USB, with my Tyros 4 Registrations loaded, into the Genos and away I go.....or will there be more to it than this ??
I need to keep things really simple these days :D

Gordon

Deane

Post by Deane » 04 Oct 2017, 19:28

Eileen,
I really like the hidden USB idea. Plug in your USB, close the door and forget about it. One thought, I am not sure the T1-t5 registrations will transfer without some work. Don't know for sure but I thought I have read or seen something related to a change in registration format or functionality. None the less, we will be able to use our current style setups to get us started.

Deane