Membership:

Moderator: Admin

Ken Prescott

Membership:

Post by Ken Prescott » 10 Oct 2013, 17:24

Hi Eileen, I have been wondering how the membership is either holding up, or growing, and what is the percentage of members who are actively taking part,
I seem to see many of the regular names, and enjoy many of the topics that crop up on the forum.
I only wish that I had the skill, or nerve to offer more, than my odd comment or chat.

Ken Prescott

seawolf

Re: Membership:

Post by seawolf » 10 Oct 2013, 17:33

hi Ken, very good questions, I have long bemoaned the fact that almost every forum has hundreds of members but only a small percentage actually

take an active part, other than post the occasional song, or look for "freebies" given away by Eileen and others.

Now I must plead guilty to putting an awful lot of inane chat on here, but I feel if the forum is not used regularly, people will stop looking in

and that would be a shame as we need places like this to keep in touch with people who share our same enthusiasm for keyboards.

So come on everybody, get posting, any subject under the sun, you can guarantee you'll get some drivel from me in reply.

Tom
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 10 Oct 2013, 22:15

Well Ken we now have 356 members. It is a well know fact that all forums have what we call a core membership and they are the ones who work very hard to support us with input and interest. It really dose not take long to listen to a song and post thanks to the member for sharing with us. To thank someone for posting an article. To share a hobby with us or even post a joke. Hopefully Tyros 5 will create some interest and a nice discussion when it is launched. We will start thinking of our annual meeting at Skegness soon which is next April and is a real fun and musical event.

Tyros 5 and S970.

geoff

Post by geoff » 10 Oct 2013, 23:28

Very true Eileen/Tom
We have got things to look forward to, and it would be nice to see more taking an active part.

retired

Post by retired » 11 Oct 2013, 16:03

Hi friends, it’s seems quite obvious to me what the problem is
and I’m sure it must be the same for the 356.5 other members
of this great forum, and as soon as one is prepaid to acknowledge the solution to this very simple problem, I’m sure the rest of the membership will join in. Although It’s only my opinion I think the more people who
are prepared to realise that, and join in with the conversation of the topic of the moment, and freely express themselves knowing that the rest of the membership will answer their in-put with good hearted, repartee, and their input is taken in good spirit, with plenty of light hearted banter, and not close it down by some long winded gobbledegook, that is difficult to understand, ‘not that I know any one who would do such a thing‘, :roll: :roll: and I have never seen a reply to a topic that has not been friendly.
There is one subject I could introduce, has it’s getting near that time, when we need to consider, a more deep thought provoking subject of the dreaded J- Squad, but I’m sure that other members can think of subjects they would like to introduce, and get other members thoughts on that subject.
So I will keep this reply short so that the other 365.5 members don’t lose interest, and I hope I have not over simplified what I was trying to convey.
I will be looking forward to members reply to my simple solution with
suppressed excitement, and please keep it friendly with a bit of humour. :lol: :lol:
Kind regards,
Fred

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 12 Oct 2013, 02:27

Fred
You make a good point. It takes awhile for folk to warm up when they join a group After they see what kind of reception they get they will let their hair down if they have any! LOL. Some of you have an advantage in that you are able to get together at a meeting once a year which must be great experience. I sure enjoy reading some of the banter even though I may not pop in. Always enjoy a good joke as well
Regards
Ed B

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 12 Oct 2013, 11:20

I think most join for the fun of joining yet another forum. Why? beats me. As Tom say , looking for freebies etc.
Me .. I like the light hearted chat and a place to meet others as daft as me.
As they say. You dont have to be mad to be here but it helps.

Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 12 Oct 2013, 14:02

You dont have to be mad to be here but it helps.
You are right there Graham. What's life if you can't have fun.

Tyros 5 and S970.

retired

Post by retired » 12 Oct 2013, 17:31

Hi Ed B, what you say applies to me.
For quite along time I had a KN 7000, and joined the ‘Synth Zone forum’ I was there for years and really found out all I wanted to know about the KN 7000, but I found there were a few on the forum who were very knowledgeable, and being slow in typing and finding the answer
to a question, I rarely made a contribution towards the workings of
the KN7000, but there was a member on the forum, who used to
gather songs played be different members, and send them all over the world, as far has I know. So I found I could make a contribution by downloading a song once in a while.

Because Technics went out of production, I bought a Tyros 3,
and to find out how it operated I went on the internet, and looked
for Yamaha forums, the first one I found was Yamaha Keyboard Kapers and joined it,
and learnt stuff about the keyboard, I made a contribution by downloading the odd song.
At the same time I joined, ‘Yamaha Keyboard Enthusiast’ where I came into contact with Tom,
Graham, and Eileen, and it appeared to as though Tom was getting a bad press at the time !!!
so I joined in the discussion, only to be told that it was all in good fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I found the repartee was good fun, even though I became
the butt of the repartee at times. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I than found Eileen’s forum and joined, and although I don’t
make any contribution to the workings of the Yamaha keyboard,
because Eileen, is a great person in helping any member with a problem,
there is not much Eileen doesn’t know about the Yamaha
keyboards, and in my opinion if Eileen cannot give an answer,
there probably isn’t one. I try to make a contribution by joining in
the keyboard challenges, repartee, and a general discussion,
now and again.

I also joined the ‘PSR Tutorial Forum’. which is also a fountain of
knowledge.
I have down loaded a lot of stuff from around the internet,
for the tyros 3, there are thousands of Styles, extra sounds, and more floating round the internet
and I should imaging most members join a forum in the first instance to add to the enjoyment of their keyboard.
I was also surprised to find a lot of the same people on the different, Yamaha forums.

I suppose it depends on a member, as to what they want from a forum,
and how much time they can contribute, ( I should imagine not all members are retired) and how comfortable they feel when, making a contribution, and how It’s answered.

most forums have a core group of members, and you don’t usually find this out until you join the forum, I imagine if a new member, feels they can’t seem to fit in they will go some where else.

I find It’s not an easy subject, to find an answer to, as to why a member joins a forum, and I suppose it would help, if some of the other 366.5 members joined in and gave their point of view. :? :? :?
Kind regards,
Fred

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 12 Oct 2013, 19:28

lots of useful contributions there, but no definitive conclusions, I don't really think there is one,

people are going to join in, whilst others are satisfied by staying on the sidelines and watching.

I would just say to those. that if everybody was like that then nobody would have anything to watch

and the forum would just drift aimlessly along.

I know that if all members posted every day, we could not keep up, but everybody occasionally would be ideal.

tom

Liam

Post by Liam » 12 Oct 2013, 22:48

I have been a member for a while now, I find this site very helpful and from time to time I try to contribute. I do read many posts when I get a chance, Sadly I do not feel up to posting a tune, hopefully one day I will. I listen to many songs posted by other members, and I must say I enjoy listening. I am sorry if it offends but I really do not have time to listen to every song and make a comments everyday, this does not mean I do not enjoy this site, I think its great.
I love the Banter, between a few of the members, you can soon see who is making mischief (Tom?).

Like most sites like this one, there is a large proportion of members that do not take part very much, but I bet they all still want to be members so you are obviously doing what you started out to do. Its great, just enjoy it.

With kindest regards to all members

Liam

retired

Post by retired » 13 Oct 2013, 01:05

Hi liam, I feel yours is a great post,
and I suppose you can’t ask for
more, than members looking into
the forum and posting now and again,
it makes it more interesting to have
different members making a contribution,
even if it’s not a musical one.
As Tom says if people just sit on the sideline
and watch, the forum would just drift aimlessly along
with just four or five members making it interesting,
Kind regards,
Fred

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 13 Oct 2013, 08:52

Thats life I am afraid. It is the same in any thing.
Sound a bit like
Never in the field of human conflict etc etc.

Just glad the forum is here and that we can come along and have a bit of chat be it mundane ,funny or downright idiotic.

Graham

geoff

Post by geoff » 13 Oct 2013, 12:00

Hi Liam
Nice of you to give your comments on this subject, and to recieve a posting from you.
Though time consumming, it would be nice to see more people joining in, and as Grahem has already mentioned, we are open to all types of banter etc. Well almost all !! :lol:

Liam

Post by Liam » 13 Oct 2013, 20:19

I will try to take part a bit more, I feel I am getting to know one or two of you a bit better.
I know you are all nice people.
regards Liam

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 13 Oct 2013, 21:29

Liam wrote:I will try to take part a bit more, I feel I am getting to know one or two of you a bit better.
I know you are all nice people.
regards Liam
Thats just a ruse to lure you in Liam :D

Graham

Fred

Post by Fred » 13 Oct 2013, 21:32

I am sure that all members are equally welcome, however what makes me more than a little curious is that out of the current position of 357 members, 143 have NEVER made any postings at all, not even to say thank you to Eileen for the welcome message.
Maybe they start out with good intentions but for some reason they are put off. We all join for different reasons but if you never past anything why bother in the first place.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Liam

Post by Liam » 13 Oct 2013, 21:50

Graham, i am slowly getting Lured in? ( I hope).....

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 14 Oct 2013, 03:05

Liam
You make some good points. Listening to members arrangements i find is a great opportunity. You see how others have seen to arrange a particular piece and I get a lot of ideas. Don't hesitate to post a song yourself many will help with suggestions that can help immensely.
Don't hesitate to jump in anywhere.
Regards
Ed B

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 14 Oct 2013, 10:42

Hi Liam,
I am afraid all forums suffer from people joining up and then not being active at all. A lot just look round to see if there is anything to download like styles etc.or freebies. Most forums survive on a core membership that keep things going. I used to belong to YPKO and it had around 10,000 members, but out of that there was only a core membership of around 50.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Liam

Post by Liam » 14 Oct 2013, 13:45

Hello Eileen,

You are right, Its the same with other things. Various groups like WI or Rotary, or any group of people, you find only a few do the hard graft. It will always be that way.
I think you site is just right, enough musical interest with some fun along the way. Hopefully a mention of membership now and then may encourage people like me to pop up more often with a request or just general chatting.

Kind regards

Liam
P.S Does Tom sing? I am thinking of idea's to encourage more people?

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 14 Oct 2013, 15:08

Hi Liam,
I did hear Tom sing once. No doubt he will come back to you on this question ;)

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 14 Oct 2013, 16:45

Liam!!! Thats opening Pandoras box. :D

Graham

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 14 Oct 2013, 20:46

Liam, think of Sinatra,Crosby, Como, Williams, well I'm like none of those, I have my own unique style.

Had I been 5 years older, I would have been used by Churchill on the front line, rumour has it that my voice can kill at 300 yards.

I'm sure that is probably true, as I know for a fact that when I hum anyone around me falls asleep.

But I thank you for the thought and if Eileen thinks it might attract more participants than it kills off

then I'm your man.

Tom

Ps I've thought of a new forum game, I sing a popular song and the members have to guess what it is.

blimey, I've got more chance winning the music competition on here.

Liam

Post by Liam » 14 Oct 2013, 22:26

Hello Tom,

I was thinking more on the lines of threatening members that do not post? for example: If you do not post at least once a Month, you receive an E-mail of Tom's vocals.
Ha Ha.

If they still do not post then Get Graham & Fred to join in . Then as a very last resort, I will post them a tune, (that could be illegal?). That should do the trick?

Simple.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 15 Oct 2013, 07:41

Now your talking.
A Trio.. the gruesome threesome.

Graham

Liam

Post by Liam » 15 Oct 2013, 08:17

Gruesome threesome .
I think everyone will post now.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 15 Oct 2013, 08:41

More chance of splitting the Atom than getting me to sing. I really wish I could.

Graham

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 15 Oct 2013, 13:10

All I would ask of members is to at least say Hello when you join. If you listen to members songs then remember they took time playing them for us to share so pleased take time to acknowledge them. You don't have to know lots about music. If you would like further information on a song then just ask. The member will always be pleased to help if they can.
Join in on any of the subjects posted or post some of your own for us to share. A little give and take goes a long way to making this a happy community. If you have a problem doing anything on your Keyboard then please ask no matter what it is.
If you want to see what fun and music we share then why not join us at our next meeting at Skegness. Plenty of help available to.

Tyros 5 and S970.

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 15 Oct 2013, 14:55

thank you Liam, and here I was thinking I had found a true "fan".

I have tried the method you suggest to encourage more participation here,

at the raffle at Skegness, I offered the first prize, a copy of my CD

the second prize was 2 copies.

Obviously the "winners" were tone deaf, as it has not made any difference.

Tom

Liam

Post by Liam » 15 Oct 2013, 19:08

Ha Ha...... Good one Tom. I don't think it will work, even if people were threatened with a Des O'Conner LP.
Liam

Mike Bracchi

Post by Mike Bracchi » 17 Oct 2013, 22:51

Okay guys, you have made me feel really guilty now :cry: :oops:

I admit that I haven't contributed a great deal to the YKP community since I became a member, I could definitely do more and I will make every effort to participate more regularly in future ;)

Eileen has done a wonderful job with this site and supporting her and the community she has created will ensure a successful future for YKP (all these YK??? sites, gets really confusing when you're on the brandy) :lol:

All the best folks,

Mike.
aka Schrödinger's Cat.

Liam

Post by Liam » 18 Oct 2013, 08:30

Hello Mike,

like you, i do not participate as much as I ought to. but there is no way I want. Des O'conner LP.

All the best

Liam

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 18 Oct 2013, 14:55

Did you know Des Oconor has a criminal record

Its the one with the hole i the middle :lol:

Graham

abr250

Post by abr250 » 18 Oct 2013, 17:10

Hi

this is a problem every forum has and not just music forums
and i don't think there is an answer to the question.

i joined this forum in sept last year i have made 157 posts so not a real fully fledged participant.
i also joined a few others so i could learn a little about the tyros that i had just bought T1 (now own T! and T2)
i already knew a bit about music
i have enjoyed all the forums and when seeking any advice i always show my appreciation.
i never ever intended to post my music as i am much to shy,
i have to thank Eileen for helping me with my first song as she converted my wav file to mp3
(She knows an awful lot about the tyros range as well :D :D ;)) and of course she is very helpful to any members and not only on this forum
eventually i posted my music here as well as other forums.

I don't post music on here now :(
Eileen has said above it does not take to long to listen and post a reply to someone who has taken
the time to record and put it on the forum.
My last 2 music posts have been posted on the forum in the members challenge
one in May and one in June
the one in May did not receive 1 viewing even the person who put the challenge up never listened :( and i was the only one who joined in with the piece of music :(
the one in June 1 member replied and that was Eileen
it does not bother me to much, because i only play for my own amusement in my home (so must be rubbish)
but it does not give anyone much incentive to try again.
(no previews on box) :o

i do like to visit the forum
and hope that i can still do so

and so i have had my little say
and hope no-one is offended by it.

regards
arthur

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 18 Oct 2013, 18:06

Hi Arthur
Its an age old problem. Look at all the Post's. Loads listen but only a few reply. Dose not mean you are rubish.
Many of the Top flight players have very liitle reponse to their posts so it is nothing personal.
Dont despair.

Graham

abr250

Post by abr250 » 18 Oct 2013, 18:18

Graham from Derby wrote:Hi Arthur
Its an age old problem. Look at all the Post's. Loads listen but only a few reply. Dose not mean you are rubish.
Many of the Top flight players have very liitle reponse to their posts so it is nothing personal.
Dont despair.

Graham
thanks for replying graham

but when ever anyone listens to music on Box the player gets an update from box when its been viewed

that's how i know only one of the songs was listened to :oops:

i would have been notified if anyone had previewed my music

i also checked the post count on the songs :oops:

cheers

arthur

bluekiwi

Post by bluekiwi » 18 Oct 2013, 19:28

I have been a yammie fan since way back. When I got to PSR4000 I needed help and that is when I found some awesome people who shared with me . From that to PSRs910 was another BIG jump and again the forums can into play. Now with time catching up with me I always keep track of everyone,listen lots but rarely comment....very remiss of me... I will try to do better.Honestly tho my life would be very dull indeed if you all went off never to be heard again

Roland

Post by Roland » 18 Oct 2013, 21:32

Hello Arthur,

I hope you're doing all well there and thanks much for your post above. I missed your musical posts back in May as I was on a "break" from forums over this summer. I am currently on two forums and a third one but very rarely (that one I visit if I have Cubase and Motif XF challenges).

But just wanted to let you know that I often miss a few posts (there are only so many one can handle a day - and I usually go over the top 10 or so just to manage my time a little). And I too had posted songs in the past that didn't draw much attention - but I try not to get discouraged, because I believe it's mostly that people simply miss it - or maybe it's not down their alley, but I am convinced it is never ill meant :P . I was shy too at the start to post my songs - some of them are quite weird I must say :lol: - but over time I have learned lots from people's feedbacks. Like my friend Jack the other day mentioned a pan flute going over the top - I was very grateful for that comment - he was spot on and it helps me to focus on things I can improve.

So no worries my friend - and I very much look forward to a music post of yours :P

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 19 Oct 2013, 00:00

Hi Arthur,
I am sorry to hear you feel a little let down by the response to your songs but Challenges don't always get the response that the main board dose. Any member can set a challenge for the rest of us to play.
Why don't you post on our main board. All abilities are welcome.

Tyros 5 and S970.

retired

Post by retired » 19 Oct 2013, 00:53

Hi Arthur, I understand your feelings about, what’s the point of
taking the time to arrange and play a song and get no response.
I usually take part in the challenges, and would feel it’s a waste of
time if no one replied to me.
On the challenges most of those who take part,
usually reply to the other members who take part,
unfortunately I did not reply to you on both those occasions,
and I cant offer a reason why.
I liked both your songs, and it will be the forums lose, if you decide
not to post any more songs, but I hope you do.
Kind regards,
Fred

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 19 Oct 2013, 01:42

Hi All
Arthur has a good point it is discouraging if you post a piece or anything and no one comments. I usually come on an look at active posts and I guess in doing that I could miss seeing a post like Arthur's. I'm going to change that not sure what that will be yet but I recognize I could be missing some things, unintentionally. Not that I look at everything!
Regards
Ed B

Mike Bracchi

Post by Mike Bracchi » 19 Oct 2013, 07:46

Hi Arthur,

I understand how you are feeling, last week the very same issue effected me to the point that I nearly threw the towel in on my site :cry:
I see that Eileen's YKP has 92 un-answered posts, my own has just under 400 so it's an issue that effects us all.

People join forums for different reasons and any subsequent visits to the site are usually directed to their area of interest; Unfortunately, the number of sites that have an allegiance with 'performing' on the 'Yamaha' keyboard is at it's highest ... this is not really helping matters for us hobbyist performers.

Still, maybe now the dark nights are drawing in on us, more people will sit down at their screens and things will pick up... so what ever you do, don't give up Arthur :D :D

Keep your chin-up and get practising for your next up-load :lol:

All the best,

Mike

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 19 Oct 2013, 08:47

Arthur. We are all the same. It is nothing at all personal
Some days I sit at my T2 get half way through a tune ,switch it off and think about chucking the whole lot away.
Then another day I will sit and play one tune after another for a hour or more. At least 100 missed notes and chords but to me it sounded great.
Its ups and downs . I know I will never be any better. Left it to late to start playing.
I keep recording bits to upload here but when I play them back I can hear all the misstakes so back to square one.
When I do manage to record a semi decent bit and post it I see from Boxnet many people listen but little or no response on the Forum.
Am I disspondent, No. Thats Forums I am afraid and thats people.
As we say in Derbyshire Nowt so strange as foke.

Graham

abr250

Post by abr250 » 19 Oct 2013, 12:09

Hi
thanks to all who have read my post
and for understanding ;)
I don't spend a lot of time with my recordings
it is mostly sit and play (with music of course)
(i don't know how to edit or multitrack so i try to get it ok the first time) :D
sometimes i have to play it a couple of times
So really i don't complain about how long it takes because i enjoy playing anyway

But when no one listens it does seem a bit disheartening
and makes me think why not post it on another forum :o

I will give an example on friday after i had posted my little niggle here
I posted a song (Satin Doll ) on another forum T de P
one i had recorded a couple of weeks ago
after one day i had 7 positive comme nts :D

Of course Eileen as she always does listened and commented favourably
so did mike who has added to this thread
and i shall of course thank them over on the other forum.

if members reply to songs on the other forum
then why not here??

regards

arthur

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 19 Oct 2013, 14:31

Could be they had already heard it on the other forum. Life remains a mystery to me Arthur.

Graham

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 19 Oct 2013, 16:21

Hi Arthur,
It is just as much a mystery to me why people do the things they do. I do try my best to comment on everyone's songs if I can but sometimes things get missed. I think we must also remember that as yet we are quite a small forum with not as many players as others but it is growing slowly and members are now getting more reply's.I do hope you will give us another chance and post some songs for us.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Ken Prescott

Post by Ken Prescott » 20 Oct 2013, 09:21

Good morning members, I already started a reply once, must have touched a wrong key, and lost it,
Well, it looks like my original question, started an active topic, its nice to see so many comments, some of the replies bring to my mind. Loss of some of the smaller Organ Societies that I used to belong to, in the North of England.
In mostcases they had sufficient members to pay there way, but committee members grew older and tired, others did not come forward to take over. Result closure.

I certainly would have no objection to any person looking at my jotting, and saying, Interesting , but what a load of dribble.
As to looking at members names, Pad D, and I used to speak on the phone, several times a year, when we both had Yamaha AR 100 organs, Audrey Turner, I met once at a Technics 7000 weekeng.

Think I will now give my views on Clavinova 6 range, and Yamaha 5, . More drivel expected

Ken Prescott.

Fred

Post by Fred » 20 Oct 2013, 11:47

Mike Bracchi wrote:
maybe now the dark nights are drawing in on us, more people will sit down at their screens and things will pick up... so what ever you do, don't give up Arthur :D :D

All the best,

Mike
Mike. It would be nice if that was a possibility, however I think it will not happen. Come 7 pm most of the forums are simply DEAD everyone must be into a routine of putting the TV on regardless of what repeats are showing.

Even the introduction of new keyboards does not seem to create much interest etc.

Since it's sunday all I can think of is to say a Prayer (not that I can remember how to do it)

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 21 Oct 2013, 10:44

Hi Fred,
There is always the chance that people are playing there keyboards as well as watching a bit of TV.I must admit I am a bit of a soap freak but sometimes record them when I want to spend time on the forum.
I think once the new keyboard is launched there will be interest in it and discussions on "should I shouldn't I".

Tyros 5 and S970.

abr250

Post by abr250 » 21 Oct 2013, 21:14

Eileen wrote:Hi Arthur,
I am sorry to hear you feel a little let down by the response to your songs but Challenges don't always get the response that the main board dose. Any member can set a challenge for the rest of us to play.
Why don't you post on our main board. All abilities are welcome.
Hi Eileen

i have took your advice and posted the song (Conquest of Paradise) in the main forum
( i originally posted in the challenge in May)

so i hope at least 1 member will comment on it :D :D

cheers
arthur

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 22 Oct 2013, 12:55

Arthur (and everybody else).
I had no interest in music (except listening to it ,of course.) until long after retirement age, when for something to do to keep me

occupied I bought a keyboard (Tyros1) I started from scratch( and I,ve not moved far), but my point is that I did it for ME, I had no thoughts on imposing

my efforts on others.

Now, several years later, I have been persuaded to post the occasional song on here, and it has been very kindly received, but I have no desire to do it

and wonder if someone out there can tell me what the motivation is that makes them want to post songs and want to get other peoples views.

Yes, you might say well other people can say what my faults are, or how I can improve, but honestly do you think that makes you better ??

Now I may be unique, I know when I play better, I know what my faults are, trouble is I can't cure them.

I know that Eileen, and all the very good players encourage us to help us improve, but basically what is needed is years of practise, and that is a thing

I haven't got left, I've "wasted " mine on, well living I suppose.

So Arthur, play for your own enjoyment, if others enjoy it fine ,if they don't hard luck.

Tom

abr250

Post by abr250 » 22 Oct 2013, 13:51

Hi Tom
thanks for your post to me
and i can understand and relate to most of the things you say
i am 74 years young :D
i have been interested in music for a long time learning the cornet at 13 years old.
so learned all my scales at a early age,played that for about 7 years (wasn't too bad as i played lead cornet)
but left music off for a very long time
in my 30's i bought a 2 manual organ and learned myself how to play
and studied and learned chords etc.
then again due to work i left it off again
Since may 2010 i have been on my own
last year i bought a tyros 1 and started playing again
have now progressed to a tyros 2

i joined a few forums hoping to learn a little about the tyros
i did not join to learn about how to read music
because i can't play without music
and everything i play i do so from the written score.

i used to listen to people play on the forum and then immediately find the music and try it

i listened on this forum in the challenge section and someone had put a challenge for
"something" in Shirley Bassey style.
so i got the music and played it
until i got the T1 i had never listened to myself playing
i recorded "something" and talking to Eileen she said she would convert my wav file to mp3
i was not sure that i should send it to her (i am much to shy) she was the first to hear me play
she also said i ought to post this song in the challenge this was my first song i had every posted
the challenge was set by "Seawolf" :D :D
so in fact you could say it was you who helped me to start posting songs :D :D

now i am on my own i play music for my own amusement but sometimes i do enter the challenges
and post on a few forums

i know everyone makes mistakes when playing and no one is perfect
but i do know when something is right
i would never post anything that i thought was unworthy ;)
but if someone posts a song i think its only fair to comment and try to give some encouragement, don't you :)

i don't spend a lot of time with the songs i post
they are usually sit and play but that's because i can read the music
i can't multitrack and do not know to much about editing

but i do enjoy the time spent with my T2

kind regards

arthur

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 22 Oct 2013, 14:41

Thank you Arthur , My music usually convinces people to give up music, not encourage them.

I am 78 so a little late to seek stardom, so maybe it is an age thing rather than a musical one.

i cannot read music, know nothing about chords, so what comes out of my ty4 is what I hear in my head

and most times bears little resemblance to the actual piece.

but carry on enjoying it Arthur, I do, and if it gives you pleasure then that is all that really matters.

Tom

retired

Post by retired » 22 Oct 2013, 15:41

Tom said,
“and wonder if someone out there can tell me what the motivation is that makes them want to post songs”

Hi Tom,
for me Eileen, puts a lot of time in running this forum,
and asks members to join her in the fun of down loading a song,
so when I post a song it’s usually to join in and try to give a little back
to Eileen, for providing a place for me to join with fellow Tyros members.

As I have made clear in the past I’m self taught, I started of at 16yrs playing in
pubs, when it comes to my music playing, I have a skin as thick as a leather sole boot ( I couldn’t spell rhinoceros)
and I know how good and how bad a player I am, so though I will thank any one who offers me their views on my playing, at 80yrs old, it’s not easy to teach an old dog new tricks.

Some times you get to know the number of people who have listen to your song,
one of my songs on boxnet has been visited 207 times, (I suppose the other seven couldn’t believe what they heard) that’s good enough for me,
and to be honest I was satisfied with those few who did reply.
It’s entirely up to the individual why they post a song, and it’s up to members
why they wish to reply, members have their reasons for doing what the do and personally, I’m pleased we are not all the same, just as long as we are polite,
Kind regards,
Fred

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 23 Oct 2013, 14:07

hi Fred,

glad to "see" you.

Yes the reason lots of us post is to support Eileen's work on this forum, I am probably the most "guilty" person after Eileen for posting,

but that applies to all sections of the forum. i think any forum needs a healthy mix of music and non music related topics, and I have

tried to contribute to both,

This topic I thought was of general participation on the forum and not members lack of response to other members

musical efforts. This seemes to be the major concern, when to me it is only part of the problem.

When I post on any section here, I do not expect a critique or even a reply, I say something in response to

other members postings or start a new topic in the hope of getting a response from other members.

to some, posting on any topic is just as difficult as posting on the music section, yet it seems that these non musical posts are

not given the same value in the overall health of the forum.

I have posted in the musical section ( I should have been prosecuted under the trades description act)

and received some kind remarks from some members, but I am not offended if I get none (that's probably what they are worth)

because I was doing it for me, and I had got my satisfaction from being able to do it.

Tom

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 23 Oct 2013, 14:59

Yes Tom,
You are right of course. Any good forum must have a mix of subjects and interests for every one and any contribution is always very welcome. This being a Keyboard forum then the main interest is naturally the keyboards you use and how you find them, Do you need help with them. Can you offer help to others. Are there things you have found that you can do that would be interesting to others.

An Ipad section was added because it is now obvious that these will be used along with keyboards in the future. Many are in use already for storing and reading music and they work very well. If members have found other useful things then please tell us.

The Birthday and get well section is I think a must on most forums as I like to think we are all friends here and what better than to wish a member a happy birthday. If a member is under the weather or in Hospital then how nice to think someone cares.

We all have stressful days at times so how nice to see someone has posted us a joke or two for a good laugh. If that fails then why not have a go at our games or think up a new one for us.

I am sure a lot of you have other Hobbies as well as your Keyboards and I am surprised that this Board has not been used more to share them.

If there is anything else you think should be added then please let me know and we will look into it. All I want is for members to think it was worth the visit to the forum and that it was of use to them.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Wally Z

Post by Wally Z » 23 Oct 2013, 19:48

Look at the number of "Reviews" not the "Replies". Many folks check out the post but don't always reply. Just because someone doesn't leave a comment doesn't mean they don't like your song or what you've said. Just means they don't like you as a person. :lol: Just kidding! They probably just don't have a comment.

I frequent several other forums and some have a "like" button that you can click on and your name shows up under their post or comment showing you like it without having to type a comment. One of the forums even keeps track of the number of likes you have received and given. I use that function often when I don't have anything to say or what I want to say has already been said. But by hitting the "Like" button the original poster knows I have been there and knows I like or agree with their post. It really works good.
PSR-S910

Liam

Post by Liam » 23 Oct 2013, 21:14

I "Like" that idea Wally Z.

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 23 Oct 2013, 23:54

Seems a little impersonal. Really dose not take long to say Thank you for sharing.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Liam

Post by Liam » 24 Oct 2013, 08:03

Hello Eileen,
I suppose you are right. maybe we are trying to fix something that
is not broken?
Kind regards
Liam

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 24 Oct 2013, 15:32

You have it in a nutshell Liam, why try to fix something that is not broken

(except a few shattered ego's of course. :cry: :cry: )

Tom :D :D

salan

Post by salan » 02 Feb 2014, 14:10

Wally Z wrote:Look at the number of "Reviews" not the "Replies". Many folks check out the post but don't always reply. Just because someone doesn't leave a comment doesn't mean they don't like your song or what you've said. Just means they don't like you as a person. :lol: Just kidding! They probably just don't have a comment.

I frequent several other forums and some have a "like" button that you can click on and your name shows up under their post or comment showing you like it without having to type a comment. One of the forums even keeps track of the number of likes you have received and given. I use that function often when I don't have anything to say or what I want to say has already been said. But by hitting the "Like" button the original poster knows I have been there and knows I like or agree with their post. It really works good.

Just been reading through this interesting thread and I came upon this post.Although I'm sure we would all like people to click on the"like" button lots of times what sort of feeling would it create if you saw lots of "dislikes" relating to your posting, might be a bit discouraging for some.Just a thought.

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Wally Z

Post by Wally Z » 02 Feb 2014, 17:06

salan wrote:
Wally Z wrote:Look at the number of "Reviews" not the "Replies". Many folks check out the post but don't always reply. Just because someone doesn't leave a comment doesn't mean they don't like your song or what you've said. Just means they don't like you as a person. :lol: Just kidding! They probably just don't have a comment.

Just been reading through this interesting thread and I came upon this post.Although I'm sure we would all like people to click on the"like" button lots of times what sort of feeling would it create if you saw lots of "dislikes" relating to your posting, might be a bit discouraging for some.Just a thought.

Alan
It doesn't say anything about a "dislike button." NO DISLIKE buttons. And I personally don't think it's impersonal to use the like button. It would still be counted in the forum stats and allows you to review and read even more post than you would if you had to stop and comment on each one. What can you lose by trying it out for a period of time. Maybe that option isn't available with this forum software.
PSR-S910

salan

Post by salan » 02 Feb 2014, 17:40

My apologies Wally, I was thinking it would be like Youtube where there are like and dislike buttons, so maybe not a bad idea.

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Elainehf

Post by Elainehf » 01 Mar 2014, 15:58

I think a like button would be good (no unlike button, please). Many times true that what I might comment on has already been said so I might not leave a comment. If someone doesn't like a performance, they can always press the stop button. It does make one wonder how un appealing your performance was when you have 25 views and only a few replies. The like button would be reassuring. Or maybe we should just insert a smilie face instead of a comment (that could be an interim solution).

Elaine :lol:

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 02 Mar 2014, 12:28

I still feel that a Like button is very un-personnel and cold. Especially on the performance section where a member has plucked up courage to post a performance and is looking for constructive critique on his performance. This needs a personnel touch. Also if a member has uploaded something to share with members dose it really take more time to write Thank You than press a button.
Life is all rush and tear now days but I feel a little friendly forum such as this is where you can relax and spend a little time keeping in touch with other members. So for the time being no Like Button for YKP. I hope you will agree.
To Answer your question Elaine a lot of members re visit and listen to songs more than once so there will always be more hits than comments.

Tyros 5 and S970.

salan

Post by salan » 02 Mar 2014, 12:54

Yes Eileen I for one have to agree with you on this topic, all that you say makes good sense to me, a few words in this case certainly do mean a lot and is very encouraging when trying to produce something that is listenable to others.

Alan

TYROS 5-76