Poor Signal

Petedaniel

Poor Signal

Post by Petedaniel » 22 Mar 2013, 11:46

Hi I have just upgraded My broadband to my desktop PC From 2mg to 19mg But I now have a problem With the strength of the signal in other parts of the house as the new router does not have an Ariel. Causing Buffering on my laptop. what are the options to improve the strength around the house? I have seen these plugs that you plug in to a existing socket and use a Ethernet cable. any advice on these would be helpful

Peterdaniel
[color=#80FF00]They Say that hard work never killed any one, But why take a chance.[/color]

Fred

Re: Poor Signal

Post by Fred » 22 Mar 2013, 11:50

Hi Peter

You can get a Wireless Extender from the same company that makes the Ether net to Mains adaptors. It works on the same principle but puts out the signal wirelessly rather than simply through a Cat 5 cable to one device.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 22 Mar 2013, 17:39

Hi Fred yes I know about the Wireless Extenders but which is the better as they cost about the same price.
Peterdaniel
[color=#80FF00]They Say that hard work never killed any one, But why take a chance.[/color]

abr250

Post by abr250 » 22 Mar 2013, 17:57

Pete
get in touch with cs at your isp
tell them the problems with your signal
they should sort it out for you
remember you are paying for a service and they must provide good service
your new router should be ver N
which gives very good wireless conectivity
it's perhaps that they have forgotten to send you an ariel

arthur

ps
we have discussed the homeplugs issue a couple of weeks ago do you remember ;)

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 22 Mar 2013, 19:33

Arthur The new router does not have a Arial or if it does it must be internal. I think my server would tell me that I chose the position to have the router installed which is next to my desk top PC, so it would not be their fault if my laptop was too far away.

abr250

Post by abr250 » 22 Mar 2013, 19:46

ok Pete

can you connect to the internet with your laptop if you are in close proximity or your new router
i would guess that your ne w router ought to have a wireless range of at least 20 yds ;)
try to see if you can the distance that you lose signal with you laptop from the router
trial and error Pete
is your laptop fairly new?
can you try another laptop (perhaps a friends with your router)

let us know ;)

arthur

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 23 Mar 2013, 10:29

Hi Arthur
I have checked the signal strength to my lap top and it is only 34% not enough to stop buffering I have a tablet Pc that shows the same strength of signal I get on my desktop PC when in the same situation as my laptop. so it is probable that it is the Laptop that is at fault as I don't really want the cost of a replacement Laptop I need to know if the powernet adapters or a signal generator will work and which would be better. for me I would have thought that a direct connection by way of a powernet adapter and a Ethernet cable would do the Job.
Peterdaniel

abr250

Post by abr250 » 23 Mar 2013, 11:18

hi Pete
it does seem from what you say that the wireless network in your laptop is not working correctly :(
is it possible you could try something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wifi-Wireless ... 51a5690d6f

much cheaper that the homeplugs

Pete i used to use homeplugs
but i don't think they are as good as some people say (with regards to reliablity)
they have to be used in pairs and have to be configured together
i have 4 of them and i think only one works :shock:

so i went down a different route :D
my router is near the tv in the lounge
i have a cat5 cable running from the router up to the bedroom and then to a ethernet switch (auto)
then i run a cable from that switch into the next bedroom for my desktop pc
a cat 5 cable is installed from the switch to another device in the main bedroom.

my laptop can be used from anywhere in the house wirelessly
but mostly used at about 3 metres from the router :D
(even had it working from up the garden :D )

if i was to put my tyros on to the net i would do
as Eileen does
and connect the tyros to the laptop.

good luck with your choice of connectivity
also remember Pete cat 5 cables can be run outside as well (this may be a possibilty?)

arthur

ps if you do use homeplugs and then use a cat 5 cable to your laptop it ceases to become portable which defeats the object of having a laptop :?

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 23 Mar 2013, 12:18

Some aerials in older laptops are pretty poor. You could try a usb wirless adapter. It is cheaper than using plug in extenders around the house. Also try positioning your router in another plane or alignment. Some times just altering it round 90 degrees works. Modern router usually have a good throught the wall range these days.
Or use wireless repeater here is a link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3dBi-UK-Plug- ... 484dc4d259

Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 23 Mar 2013, 15:37

Hi Graham I like your suggestion The internet connection in my laptop has failed and I use a wireless LAN adapter to get it working but I have noticed it is only 150mb and I see from your idea that I can use a 300mb WiFi Dongle with an antenna I am going to try one of these in place of the LAN adapter, Will let you know how it works out.
Petedaniel

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 23 Mar 2013, 15:40

Arther You are correct the internet plugs will stop the lap top from being a portable device. I am going to try a dongle.
Petedaniel

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 23 Mar 2013, 16:38

It is very rare for the internal wirless adapter to fail. It is usually down to being switched off. Are you sure it is enabled. Usually funnction button and something or other. Others have tiny slide switch on the bottom of the keypad. It can also be switched off by softwar. If you can see it in Device manager check its status.

Graham

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 23 Mar 2013, 18:12

Hi Graham well this one fails I can some times get it working at times by reinstalling it but it always let me down when I need it. it is much easier to use the LAN adapter I can rely on it working. But as I pointed out it is only 150mg. I was hoping if I used a 300mg with an Arial it would overcome my problem.
Petedaniel

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 23 Mar 2013, 18:26

Hi Peter
You are probably doing the best thing. There ar some internal wireless adapters that are very glitchy like that. Nothing for it but not to use it.

Graham

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 23 Mar 2013, 18:36

Ok I will go ahead and order one straight away I just wanted some ones view before i went and brought one. As they only cost a tenner it not a great problem.thanks for your help Petedaniel

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 26 Mar 2013, 19:17

I have had signal problems for ages. I have a Virgin media hub, which is made by Netgear, which is situated upstairs. I can get a signal in the downstairs room directly below, a poor/very poor signal in the next room (where my Clavinova is so using the wireless iPad apps haven't really been possible), and the kitchen (an extension) had no signal at all. I bought a Netgear wireless extender from Amazon today. It was nearly £50 but had excellent reviews. I was dreading setting it up as according to the instructions it would either be a case of pushing a button on the extender then pushing a button on my router and should work. Or, it would have to be configured through a computer (which I really didn't want to have to do)!!. Anyway, it worked first time by the button pushing method and I now have a good signal throughout the house!
Michael
Tyros5-76, Fender Precision bass, Orange Bass Amp.

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 07 Apr 2013, 19:28

Well hows this then I went ahead and brought the equipment as I mentioned earlier set it up as instructed only to completely loose my broadband connection. It took almost two weeks before I managed to convince my provider that I had a faulty router. They seemed to think that the fault was on the line and kept on sending me a message saying it was now fixed. Finally I manage to convince them that I was correct I now have a replacement router and I am back on line. No idea why the router failed at that moment.
Back to the original Problem The signal strength on my laptop has increased from 36% to 56% which was worth the tenner spent.
Petedaniel

P.s My provider have also offered me £23 Compensation I wounder if I will ever get it.

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 19 May 2013, 11:01

Hi Pete,
Have not heard from you in a while. Did you get your compensation OK.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Petedaniel

Post by Petedaniel » 29 Jul 2013, 10:06

Hi Eileen No I never did get my compensation. well what did I really expect.
Petedaniel