New Computer

David

New Computer

Post by David » 31 Mar 2013, 15:22

Hi All
My desktop computer has seen better days, and is in need of replacement. However, I am a little reluctant, given that I still use Windows XP, which I find easy to use, and I am not sure how Windows 8 is with music software and other music uses. Has anyone any experience, and advice, re up-to-date computers, or, knowledge about whether to wait for future windows software.
David

Eileen

Re: New Computer

Post by Eileen » 31 Mar 2013, 16:16

Hi David,
We use windows 8 and have found that music programmes we use work fine on it. Some would not work that well on Windows 7 but work fine on 8. Like all computer systems you need to have the right amount of processing power and memory. As yet Ray is well pleased and surprised that it works so well.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 31 Mar 2013, 17:47

Hi David. We have a Windows 7 laptop, which i was happy with. Then we needed another one as my wife's mini-netbook (XP) broke, so got another laptop running Windows 8. I didn't like it at first but like anything else you just get used to it in time. Even if someone is happy with XP or others, they are oudated and won't be supported for ever. Change happens and I think we just have to adapt to it. I'm quite comfortable using Windows 7 or 8 now. I also like my iPad and would love to try a macbook, but they are very expensive. And not all software runs on them.
Michael
Tyros5-76, Fender Precision bass, Orange Bass Amp.

David

Post by David » 02 Apr 2013, 11:06

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your input, you have certainly given me lots to consider.

My wife and I were having a look yesterday, and because of my disabilities, she favoured one of the new touchscreens, but they are all Windows 8.

And I thought it would be easier than choosing a keyboard.

David

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 02 Apr 2013, 13:23

Yes David,
Windows eight is geared towards touch screens but also works very well with a keyboard. Also remember the next Yamaha keyboard will have touch screen so you can get in some practice :lol:

Tyros 5 and S970.