Is a Apple/Mac pc a wise move?.

Geordielad

Is a Apple/Mac pc a wise move?.

Post by Geordielad » 14 Feb 2014, 10:47

My steam driven laptop PC is getting a bit slow and as I'm very impressed with the iPad I received for Christmas,
I am thinking about getting a Apple PC, and I am looking for advice.
Can you get audacity, boxnet, soundcloud to work on the Mac/iOS system?.
Can you get all these to work on the iPad ?.
Will Yamaha expansion manager work, I think I've seen it won't on a mac, only on windows?.
Does Microsoft office word/excel work?
Is it necessary to have anti virus program for iPad/PC?
I realize it's a lot of questions I will appreciate any information.
My present laptop runs on vista.
Best wishes, Bill.

Eileen

Re: Is a Apple/Mac pc a wise move?.

Post by Eileen » 14 Feb 2014, 12:15

Hi Bill,
You can run Box, Sound Cloud and Audacity on Mac. At present the Yamaha expansion Manager will not work for Mac.
I have been using Ipad for a few months. My intention was to use it for my music and keep me in touch with the forum when away.
So far I have found it a right pain in the butt for some things. I have the best of both worlds and have a normal PC running windows 7, 64 bit. For everyday use I find it suits me much better.
Maybe a member on here runs Mac and can help you further and tell you what advantage it will give you if any.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Fred

Post by Fred » 14 Feb 2014, 12:15

Hi Bill

I have an Apple machine and I really like it. However there are some limitations.

Can you get audacity, boxnet, soundcloud to work on the Mac/iOS system?. ----- I could not get Audacity to work on my machine, although to be honest I did not try very hard.
Can you get all these to work on the iPad ?. ----- I did not try Audacity but all the rest work OK
Will Yamaha expansion manager work, I think I've seen it won't on a mac, only on windows?. -------- For the time being it does not work with a MAC but will do very shortly.
Does Microsoft office word/excel work? ------- I have the full MicroSoft Package working on my MAC but you do need to buy a MAC Version unless you install a dual boot system like BootCamp.
Is it necessary to have anti virus program for iPad/PC? ------- A lot of people will tell you that you do not need any, but it is just not true. The MAC is much more security based but the threat is still there.

Many of the little programs that individuals have provided over the years for tweaking Registrations and style are Windows based.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 14 Feb 2014, 15:43

Many thanks Eileen and Fred, looks like Mr Gates will get the business, Bill.

Roland

Post by Roland » 14 Feb 2014, 18:05

Hello Bill,

Here's my PC/Mac story: I always used to use Windows PC's until I bought an iPad some years back. Until then I never considered looking at the Apple products. But over time, I really began to enjoy my iPad - so I snooped around a bit and eventually got myself a MacAir Book (thin Apple laptop). After that it went to my large iMac, iPhone and as soon as I can afford I will replace my aging PC monster with a Mac Pro.

I like the OSX (operating system for the Mac's - and iOS is the one for the mobile Apple devices) and iOS lots. It is much more stable - I don't have to fiddle with drivers and daily updates, it has a clean uncluttered user interface and just about everything works on it. I will eventually move everything to the Apple platform. The Windows platform has become so unfriendly and clumsy, too many security problems, etc. I still run Cubase on Windows - but just for one example: Create a new folder within Cubase, and the whole thing crashes - which is a real pain if you still have a project open and not saved yet. I simply don't have those problems on the Apple platform. And talking about integration - everything is so well integrated, I for example use my iPhone which I simply place on my keyboard to control my recordings in Cubase - I have my cooking apps on the iPad, etc.

And another point: Since I began using the Apple platforms, I spend much less time on my computers but more time doing other things. Simply because it doesn't take me much time to get things done on the Mac :P

So for me, there is no going back to Windows. Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 15 Feb 2014, 04:51

Hi
I have an Ipad Air and like it for what it does. I admit Apple CPU's are well built but they have just as many issues as windows. Viruses have not been an issue mainly because there is a larger population of windows CPU's not because they are immune. They are not. Personally I do not like Apples lock in strategy that has existed. I do like using Itunes to get information into or the app store nor the approach to books etc. Apple is pricey.
Windows gives me much more choice at less cost I have access to many open source programs which work just great. Yes you can run a virtual PC on a MAC with parallels etc. but for me and the many programs I have access to for the keyboard. Windows is the best bet.
There are many great programs available which if you are not aware of are really worth exploring.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/util/index.html
This provides links to most of them
For example Michael Bedesems program Mixmaster is a midi sequencer oriented to the PSR Tyros keyboards. There is one for registrations to convert a registration from any keyboard to another by Murry Best, and Jorgen Soreson has a wealth of programs from Stylemaker to CASM editor.
None of these work on a MAC so you would have to run your MAC in a virtual mode.
Just my thoughts
Regards
Ed B

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 15 Feb 2014, 09:38

Hello Roland and Ed B, thanks Guys for some really useful information, I am really appreciative of your input and taking time to reply, Bill.