which computer and software

Liam

which computer and software

Post by Liam » 05 Mar 2014, 09:01

Hello all, I am home again for a while. I want to get a computer linked to my keyboard with good software.
Can someone recommend a good set up please, I am lost when it comes to
choosing. I do not want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to keep having to add bits.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Liam

Fred

Re: which computer and software

Post by Fred » 05 Mar 2014, 12:04

Hi Liam

The choice of software really depends on what your main objectives are. There are many DAW packages around but they are totally different in their approach. So a lot more detail as to what you are after would be a great help.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Liam

Post by Liam » 05 Mar 2014, 15:15

Thankyou for your response Fred.

What my intentions are, I would like multitrack and also use loops? Then use midi to change instruments, and create a cd of my tunes. I know what I want to do but I cannot explain it in technical terms, also to make my own styles and save them to use in the same program. I hope this makes sense, I would also like to record my guitar in the same software?

I have been told that a mac computer is best, but I have also been told a windows computer is best? So I am lost.
Kind regards
Liam

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 05 Mar 2014, 17:10

Hi Liam,
A lot of these things can be done on your keyboard already. Multi Tracking, changing voices, Audio recording with your guitar.
For style creating from scratch this can be done on Keyboard or you can use a programme like EMC.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Roland

Post by Roland » 05 Mar 2014, 17:22

Hi Liam,

While it is possible to do recording to the keyboard itself (which then of course becomes your cheapest option) - I for myself prefer to record to my computer. This gives me much more flexibility and I can add as many tracks as I want to - no limits. Earlier I believed that 16 tracks are lots, but once I began to add special sound effects, stereo-pans that go automatically while playing, etc. - I really began to appreciate the computer based setup.

To do this properly - you do need an Audio-/Midi- interface. This is a box that sits between your keyboard and the computer. I use the Steinberg UR28M - as I record audio only. If you would like to run MIDI through it too, then look for a device that supports both, MIDI and Audio - like Steinberg's UR44, or also check out Behringer they have some good ones too. You would plug all your keyboards and guitars into this interface, and then the interface connects via one single USB cable to your computer.

For recording software I use Cubase. A light version - but already very powerful - is usually included with Yamaha keyboard purchases or the purchase of one of the Steinberg hardware components, like the UR44. I like the Steinberg ones, because they work closely together with Yamaha - so setting it up is easy.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Liam

Post by Liam » 05 Mar 2014, 19:31

Thank you Eileen and Roland,

Eileen, I normally play and record my backing on the keyboard, then play it through my Boss and practice or record my guitar, I have tried to record more than 1 track on the keyboard but keep forgetting how i did certain things? I know the keyboard can do it all but I tend to mess it up more often and have little success.

Roland, thanks for your info I will have a look at these, I hope I am right in thinking that if I am slightly out, (Volume, timing etc) I can then use computer to set it correctly, plus to directly connect my guitar sounds good. I have a Boss recorder which I have alot of fun with, but I like the idea of seeing my songs on screen and being able to try different setting etc.
Which computer would you consider to be the best, Mac or windows?

Thank you both, really appreciate your assistance

Kind regards

Liam

Roland

Post by Roland » 06 Mar 2014, 17:57

Hello Liam,

With respect to timing; Yes, you can shift a newly recorded track left/right and there are other options to "massage" timing. I find however that this usually takes me more time and can be frustrating at times. So if I hear that my timing is off, I mute that track, and then record a new one, and maybe another one and another one, until I get it right. I always put the re-takes on new tracks - this gives me the chance to compare how I am improving and if it is just a short section that is off, I might even be able to "stitch" two tracks together to get in the end one full melody line (but that too can be cumbersome, so mostly I just re-do stuff from the start to end).

For computers: It doesn't matter much. If money is no subject, then the Apple computers surely are a nice choice. I have two of them and am very happy with them. But I also have a few PC's standing around and one of them I actually use as my main recording box. It's a Dell XPS Studio 9000 with 12Gb of memory and 1 Terabyte disk. But the only reason I need that much "ooompff" on that box is because of the video editing I am doing. Recording usually requires less power than video editing. But it can start adding up when recording if you use plug-ins (like real-time reverbs, pads that are on the computer and not the instrument, etc.). That means it eats memory and needs a fast processor. But that you can get on any Mac and also on any Windows machine. The later are slightly less in purchasing cost. Maybe go for the operating system that you are used to - switching to another one will take a while to get used to - so maybe that could be a factor for you. A laptop type computer has the advantage that it is portable and you can move that thing around in your set-up as you go along.

My dream set-up would be the new Mac Pro with three 27" Mac monitors, and I would also add Cubase's touch pad controls to control some of the Cubase features. But I have to win the lottery first :lol:

PS: Recording multi-track on the Tyros is very easy - the only thing I used to forget all the time is to press and HOLD the record button while selecting an empty track - but Eileen set me straight with that one a long time ago :lol: Maybe this is one of the things that you stumbled upon.

Cheers, Roland
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Liam

Post by Liam » 06 Mar 2014, 20:40

Thank you Roland, Great advice. I think I will take your advice and get the UR44. and see if I can afford a high spec PC. I think you are right about Apple, I know they a great but I think I will loose interest in my efforts to try and master it. All being well I intend to get them next Month, I will let you know how I get on. I would really love to have a proper studio All sound proofed etc, but I am very happy in our spare bedroom. My main problem is that I have too many styles, when I start to try and put a song together I end up messing about with styles. I must learn to control myself.
Thanks for all your help, I love this website!!

Kind Regards

Liam

Roland

Post by Roland » 06 Mar 2014, 22:59

Hello Liam,

You are entirely welcome :P

If you need any help with setting things up, just post it here. I am lucky I don't have to worry about my sound bothering any neighbours, they all are Kilometres away from me :lol:

But the UR44 I believe has two head phone jacks, like the UR28M. I use those quite a bit - especially during the mix-down (after recording) so I can better hear the left/right pan positions, amount of reverbs and things like that.

Cheers, Roland

joso

Post by joso » 07 Mar 2014, 07:27

Hi

If you want to use some/many of the free Yamaha Keyboard utilities, for instance mine listed at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm, go for a Windows PC.

Most utility software for Yamaha Keyboards (more at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software.htm and http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/more_software.htm) are for Windows computers.

Regards

Jørgen

PS: A minor part of my software programs are Java based. These will run at Apple too.

Liam

Post by Liam » 07 Mar 2014, 08:34

Thank for that joso, sorry i can't. write your name properly, I can't find an "o" with a line through it?

I have been to you site many times, its packed with stuff. A great site.
After being guided by Eileen and Roland I have decided to go with the ur44 and a pc rather than apple. I feel more confident now.

Thank you

Liam

joso

Post by joso » 07 Mar 2014, 15:25

hi Liam

Thanks for your kind words about my site.

Dont bother about the missing characters. We have 3 special Danish: æ , ø and å
æ sounds a little deeper than the first vowel in heritage
ø sounds like the wovel sound in Sir
å sounds a little deeper than the wovel sound in boat
Never mind.

A problem comes to my mind: If you use one of these 3 characters in user name and/or password and try to log on at a public computer outside Denmark you will have problems.
Thats why I often use joso as user name. jøsø (Jørgen Sørensen) will not work...

Have a nice weekend
Jørgen

Liam

Post by Liam » 01 Apr 2014, 21:17

Hello again,

I have received my Steinberg UR44 today, I have decided not to buy a new laptop for a while, I am going to experiment with my Sony laptop to see how it handles things.

I have just spent the last hour or so loading the software, I think its gone well? tomorrow I am going to connect it up to my instruments, so listen out for the big bang!!
So far it looks good.............................

Liam

Liam

Post by Liam » 05 Apr 2014, 19:18

Help......please..
I have connected ur 44 audio interface, everything plays through it fine, when I connect it to laptop and start cubase A1the sound cuts off. I can see that it is receiving ok as the meters move up and down, but no sound output? Any help would be appreciated.
Regards

Liam

Roland

Post by Roland » 05 Apr 2014, 19:53

Hello Liam,

Do you have the monitor buttons on your playing tracks on/off? When playing and recording, they are "armed" (yellow if I remember correctly) - it's right at the bottom where the track faders are. When playing back from Cubase, that button must be off.

Let me know if that did the trick.

Cheers, Roland

Liam

Post by Liam » 05 Apr 2014, 20:30

Thankyou Roland, I will check it out tomorrow.
I will let you know,

Kind regards
Liam

Liam

Post by Liam » 06 Apr 2014, 19:46

Hi Roland,
I am slowly getting it... my guitar goes ok but a bit of background noise? But not my keyboard, I have tried it in different inputs and via midi inputs but still no joy, given up for today, try again tomorrow.

Appreciate more help if possible

Kind regards
Liam

Roland

Post by Roland » 06 Apr 2014, 23:14

Hi Liam,

Maybe the noise with the guitar is because of the different impedance (keyboard vs. guitar). I would check out the HI-Z vs. Line/Mic input ports and switch them around to see if that makes a difference. Oh, and don't forget to keep the output volume low when you switch stuff around until you're all set-up - just in case something goes loud unexpectedly :lol:

Cheers, Roland

salan

Post by salan » 07 Apr 2014, 11:34

Hi Roland

Sometime in the future, maybe fairly soon, I would like to update my computer music software, I see that you say you have Cubase, a light version, would that be Elements or a more advanced version ie. Artist, I would like a version that includes being able to enter notes on a piano staff (treble and bass cleff) would you know if Elements has this facility? Many thanks

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Roland

Post by Roland » 07 Apr 2014, 15:57

Hello Alan,

Cubase Elements 7 can do some basic score stuff, but I am not sure if inputting is one of them - check out page 6 at http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/file ... _11_26.pdf.

I use Cubase mainly for two things: Audio recording and post production mixing. You can easily add midi notes using your keyboard - it's like looking at a "piano roll". I played around with that a couple of times, but for what I do, I prefer to go about it this way: I record my song base to MIDI on my Tyros. That's basically just the chords, rhythm and style if one is used. That I then output directly to two audio tracks in Cubase. Then all lead melodies I add as separate tracks (using 1 mono channel for L and one for R). I could also record that on the Tyros first, but then I am less flexible later to get the right mix or do things like change track sounds in real-time.

If you are interested more on the music writing side of things, maybe a notation program would be a better choice. For that, I use Sibelius First. Andy G had recommended that to me a while ago and it really is great. Maybe a bit too much for my little music theory know-how, but I won't give up :lol:

Hope that makes sense. Cheers, Roland

Liam

Post by Liam » 13 Apr 2014, 08:13

Hello again Roland,

I am getting on well so far, I have recorded stuff and added effects. My laptop works fine with it.
I am leaving midi for a while, there is loans to learn. I sorted out my volumes but the only issue I have now is that I cannot receive sound through inputs 5/6 (can't. find volume control for these channels.. trying to sort that today.

Thanks for all your help

kind regards

Liam.

Roland

Post by Roland » 13 Apr 2014, 16:27

Hello Liam,

I think input 5/6 are for digital input - meaning an iPad or some other digital playback device. It could also be the CC switch in the back which should be set to "on" with an iPad for example - see page 7 here http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... ual_en.pdf

Have a great Sunday :-). Cheers, Roland

Liam

Post by Liam » 22 Apr 2014, 07:57

Thanks Roland,
I am getting on great with UR44. So busy discovering all the tricks, My problem at the moment is sticking to one song at a time?

Great fun, thanks for all your help.

Liam.