Conspiracy theories

seawolf

Conspiracy theories

Post by seawolf » 28 Sep 2012, 20:16

I have had computer trouble all this last week.

I was forced eventually to re-install Windows XP, which involves a lot of work, backing up files and folders and deleting and

formatting the HDD, where inevitably you lose something or something gets the link broken and becomes unuseable.

This is not my gripe however what has got me suspicious is the fact that after all the work of reinstallation of the O/s and

all my former folders etc, I found the computer had no sound.

I did the usual checks and everything assured me that my Realtek HD sound, was installed and working correctly, I then thought it could be a

driver issue, so I tried to update the drivers, Windows would not install it and kept giving me an error code.

i was on the point of ordering a new computer when I decided to try Windows 7 dual booting on the same machine, everything

including sound worked perfectly. It was using the same hardware and software as my XP so why did one work and the other not.

Now for the conspiracy theory after a lot of digging and delving into the innards of Win XP, I found that whilst downloading all

the windows updates which I'd lost, windows had downloaded a file which induced this fault, and whilst this file was active, I would never

get sound on this computer. Delete it I hear you cry, and this I eventually managed to do but it was not easy or straightforeward, and

would be beyond the scope of your ordinary home user. I got rid of it and reloaded my drivers and sound is now restored.

Why did Microsoft allow this file on to my computer, was it a deliberate ploy to force me to replace XP (I know it's old but I like it)

Are Microsoft so hard up that they have to resort to sending what is really a virus to us loyal users, to force us to spend money on a fix

to cure something they have engineered ?/

It is a conspiracy to me, not a theory.

Tom
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

retired

Re: Conspiracy theories

Post by retired » 28 Sep 2012, 23:43

Hi Tom, sorry to hear you have had a problem,
with your computer, and pleased you were able
to cure it yourself. I would never be surprised as
to what lengths businesses will go, to obtain money
from the public. perhaps Microsoft if asked could give
you a feasible explanation, no doubt to their satisfaction.
Fred

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 29 Sep 2012, 19:29

The one thing microsoft is good at Fred, is making money and excuses.

I am sure that if asked they would have a perfectly innocent excuse, but like all conspiracies, we would not be allowed

to talk to the people who really know, and as with all conspiracies there would be few people even inside that company that

were "in the know"

Tom

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 30 Sep 2012, 13:21

Hi Tom and Fred

Talking to 'an expert' recently about using my current software (I'm still on XP too) if I move to Windows 7, and he confirmed that nothing will work, again just confirming that the cash register is the motive behind most of these decisions.

I did learn also, when questioning the wisdom of leaving a hard drive, even though formatted, in a computer which is being passed on as it would still hold important info on bank numbers, passwords etc., that one way is, after formatting, reload about 20 gig of useless information (music etc) and then formatt again. Do this several times and the hard drive would be virtually cleared, but seems like a very time-consuming exercise don't you think? Think I'd probably remove the thing and take an axe to it!!!

The wonders of technology, heh?

Regards.........Thomas

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 30 Sep 2012, 13:39

Hi Thomas
If you know the make of your hard drive do a google search for it and you can download the a formatting programme that will clear it for you.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 30 Sep 2012, 16:31

Thanks for that, Eileen.

Not quite ready for it just yet, but useful to know if I get around to dumping this old laptop of mine!!

Best wishes............Thomas

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 30 Sep 2012, 18:00

your "experts" are right Thomas, simply formatting a HDD is not enough.

As Eileen says there are programs that will totally erase all data, but they are expensive and the cheaper option is, as you say to take an axe to it.

We are totally in the hands of modern technology, but it touches all of our lives now, so I suppose we have to take it's bad side along with the good.

Tom

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 30 Sep 2012, 22:49

This may be of interest to some
Windows 7 handles the memory of the mother board in a totally different way to XP and that’s why not all programs will work with windows 7 but from my experience quite a few do. If you happen to have some programs from XP that you would like to keep, this can be done with Windows 7 Professional,
There is software from Microsoft free of charge that allows XP to run as a virtual P.C within W7, I have used this setup since Windows 7 first came out and it works fine, it won’t run any games or video editing programs as there is not a lot of disc space or memory allocated for it, but I have 3 music programs that are now obsolete, I don’t wish to get new ones and go through the high learning curve again and they work fine for me. Hope this bit of info is of some use.

To safely format a hard disc drive to the point that no data can be recovered, there are several software
Solutions for most makes of drives, they are all free of charge.
Seagate and Maxtor use a program called Disc wizard, just Google it.
Western Digital use Acronis True Image, there is also a paid version of this, but the one to get is the free one.
Samsung use their version of Disc Manager.

Use either of these for your disc type I.E Pata or Sata to format the drive , before handing the P.C over to someone else and most likely they will probably want an operating system put back.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 01 Oct 2012, 12:59

Thanks for that detailed info, Eileen. May prove very useful in the not too distant future.

Best wishes...........Thomas

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 01 Oct 2012, 15:19

thanks for that Eileen, but it has prompted a thought, we all depend on our PC's to do lots of things including visiting this site, it may well be a worthwhile

idea to have a PC section on here for questions to be asked and (hopefully) our questions answered.

I'm sure some of us (and I include Ray here) could find the answers or if not, find a man who can.

Tom

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 01 Oct 2012, 15:42

Hi Tom
Thank you for the sugestion.Shall be done :idea:

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 01 Oct 2012, 16:51

It is a good idea to dissable automatic updates. You can then select what updates to use if any. If it is working fine why update. Most updates are for corporate PC's any way. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft I believe so suprised you had an update from them. Could be a third party. Win 7 is a good system. Have had a go with Win 8. not to impressed with the layout but some nice features.
Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 01 Oct 2012, 21:21

hi Graham, when you reinstall Win XP from the disc, you only get SP 2 installed, windows immediately wants to download SP3 and hundreds of

what they call Security updates, it is amongst this lot that I assume they include the file that messes up one or more of your System devices.

That's where I eventually found the problem file I referred to above.

Tom

Audrey Turner

Post by Audrey Turner » 02 Oct 2012, 00:49

When I bought my computer with Windows 7 installed it was only the very basic system which didn't include 'Word' so I purchased Windows 7 Professional and was then able to make an 'Image' disc of the whole system.

However in less than 2 years, my computer has crashed 4 times and each time, the 'image' disc was useless. Thinking maybe I had made a mistake somewhere along the line, on one occasion, I asked the guys at the shop to make me an 'image' disc which they did, but even that didn't work properly. It was enough to get the basics up and running, but I've yet to find out how to get my Windows 7 Professional back again. Unfortunately, I downloaded it direct from Microsoft at a cost of £120 because it was cheaper than the shop who were asking £190. I regret that now, because I understand I could have got a backup disc from the shop. I've been on to Microsoft umpteen times, trawling their very confusing site for answers but all you get is links and "why not ask a friend" It is so frustrating not to be able to talk to an expert.

By the way, I seem to recall that Microsoft were to withdraw support for Windows XP in July 2012. Maybe that's what's causing you problems.
I also read in my latest magazine that Microsoft are planning to withdraw support for Vista in 2017. We shall see.

Audrey

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 02 Oct 2012, 07:43

If you have the verification key for win 7 then I can let you have a copy to reinstall it.
UPDATES if you dissable auto update then you can tick just the ones to update.
Chose carefully. If you are not sure then do not update. If it is working as you like it then why update.
We expect so much of our computers these days. When I started you had to type in every command using DOS
How things have changed.
Graham

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 02 Oct 2012, 12:36

Hi Audrey,
As far as I know there are no versions of W7 that come with Word as a full program, it is only for a trial period which then has to be paid for if you want to keep it. None of the backup programs that have anything to do with Microsoft, work making an mirror image of your hard drive, which is what is required if the computer decides to die on you , what you need is an exact copy of the hard drive that includes all programs, updates and every folder and file.
The software I use for this is called " Acronis true image " I bought my copy about three years ago and it has saved me, family and friend’s a lot of headaches, it can restore a mirror image of a hard drive in about half an hour, depending how much data there is to restore, it will back up a whole drive and save it to an external drive, just back up recently added files, and it will restore them as well, if you wish it can be set to do these functions automatically. Plus it does so much more. There are other programs out there that will do the same, but I have used this one many times and it has never let me down. Current price is £39.99 including V.A.T.
I have no connection with this software, just giving my opinion and hope it helps.
Ray. (labourer)

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 02 Oct 2012, 13:24

I can only add that Acronis is a good program. Also good if you wish to increase your hard drive to a larger capacity. just put your new drive in as a slave and acronis will mirror your old hard drive to the new one. Take old drive out fit new as master and off you go.
Graham

setras

Post by setras » 02 Oct 2012, 13:51

first tip...... never allow windows to update on it's own. hold its hand.

My music machine was built using a copy of XP home, purchased when the product was launched. I never allowed it to update..... Guess what? no crashes. First service pack it fell over and never rebooted.

Moved onto XP64 same scenario..... decided to get OSX on the computer instead.... after a few tweaks and more hair falling out i now have a working Mac pro in a PC case with off the shelf parts for £5-600 (quad 2.83 cpu, 8gb ddr3, and primary solid state drive.........)

Windows 7 64bit was installed but i romoved after i saw it's footprint... think Mickeytakesoft should have called it Windows Sasquatch........

Windows (any version) gave me a 2 msec delay due to system processing.... OSX is much much less.....

If your machine can handle OSX and you like tinkering with PC's then give it a go... Just incase i have a clone of my Win7 64 bit for when i need to use windows.....
Annoying the Neighbours since 1974

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 02 Oct 2012, 15:50

it seems that Windows updates have a lot to answer for, the question is are the glitches it installs, accidental or

deliberately designed to cause you to think it is time to upgrade to the latest Microsoft offering. ???

tom

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 02 Oct 2012, 16:37

no, just bad programing
Graham

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 03 Oct 2012, 23:13

If I'd got my job that badly wrong Graham, I'd have been sacked.

And rightly so.

Tom

Audrey Turner

Post by Audrey Turner » 04 Oct 2012, 01:03

Thank you for recommending - Acronis - Graham.

My Computeractive magazine also recommends it which means, it must be good because they are very honest when doing 'reviews' on new gadgets/software and do not hesitate to say (in very plain English) whether they rate it or not.

I agree with much that has been said about updating. Since using my first PC (in the DOS days) I think
technology has moved on so fast and not always for the best. I think all Manufacturers need to remember we are not all 'computer boffins' and should keep their systems neat and simple. I don't know about other people but my pet hate is when I do a 'search,' I'm obviously looking for an answer and I do not want to trawl through pages and pages of websites/adverts to get it.

Audrey

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 04 Oct 2012, 08:12

Hi Audrey. Actually it was Eileen who recomended Acronis, I just added my use of it and its recomendation.
Pc technology has to move forward, its natural progress I am afraid, but just think back to the old DOS days and how slow and awkward those computers were. I can remember upgrading my PC from one meg of memory to two meg. I thought I had a flying machine. Nowdays it would not even bother to boot up with so little memory.
Search engines. Either love them or hate them but they do find the info (eventually) we need.

As for Tom getting the sack for poor work like soime of the programmers, afraid I would have been the same. When lives depend on the quality of your work you have to get it right first time. Look at XP. so many updates and fixes it looks like an old cycle inner tube covered it patches and it still leaks, you just find ways round it. We are all Beta testers for Microshaft
Graham

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 04 Oct 2012, 16:19

This all started with my being unable to back up the Tyros4 HDD to computer (all on an earlier thread) this is what caused my

initial computer problems, in trying various methods of trying to overcome the problem, my computer finally gave up and locked.

this resulted in a fresh install of Win XP and the problems outlined here.

Now I have proved(to myself at least) that these problems were in some way connected to a Windows update which I have since

overcome, I wonder if the back up problems were also caused by some Windows "bug".

Since my new install of XP, the backup process from Ty4 to computer has been without a hitch, further enforcing my belief

that there is a conspiracy within Microsoft to send us "updates" that are not beneficial and are downright harmful to our normally smooth

running PC's

Tom

Your Excelency

Post by Your Excelency » 09 May 2017, 17:33

Just having a read through this thread and finding it very interesting. Think I need to get my computer sorted out....

Pete :D

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 10 May 2017, 10:56

Hi Pete,
Things have moved on a bit since this post of 2012 and I think most have settled in nicely to Windows 10. I have been using it since it first came out, even found some of the older programmes worked better on this than on windows 8.
Most updates today are to keep security up to date.

Tyros 5 and S970.

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 10 May 2017, 16:12

Hi Pete, as an old hand at this computer game, I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft don't just want you to buy their latest offering,
they plant into your system , by way of "updates" programs that force you into it.
I have overcome their scheme, by making sure when I buy a computer, I buy it with NO operating system, I have here the installation discs for ALL o/s going back to WIN 98, and can get a "clean" install of any.
I have not been impressed by Win 8, win 8.1 or Win 10, and for that reason I always install a dual boot system using XP and Win 7.
I have over the years found these to be very stable and reliable and do all that I require from a computer.

Tom

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 10 May 2017, 22:22

Hi Tom,
I have never been forced to buy anything from Microsoft via updates.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Your Excelency

Post by Your Excelency » 10 May 2017, 23:29

We bought 2 identical laptops back in 2010 cost £800 Asus running W7, never ever a problem.
I did the dirty deed of switching to W10 when they were putting the frighteners on. I thought that if there were no problems then we could do Barbara's too.
Well, that was it, my troubles began big time, all the software stopped working eventually and caused me big problems when trying to run my (Action for Hull Group). I was building a website for the group and suddenly I had no word processor, Photo editing software, my calendar went pear shaped along with loads of other problems like waiting for supposed "Updates" etc etc, it must have updated 5 times in a row on different occasions and I lost no end of project materials etc. Always updating and never seemed to get any better. Couldn't even use a paint prog and other softwares I had used for yonks.
And the problem never improved, Our James tried on numerous occasions to sort it but he gave up in the end. And eventually it got worse and worse until the day it stopped altogether...Dead as a do do and I have now abandoned to the strip-down pile and have gone back to my trusty Acer aspire 5630 which runs fairly well on Vista apart from the constant software update needed notices that nag at one.... I am now thinking of ex business machines which are being churned out as refurbs with op system included etc for about 50 quid. I have piles of bits in my ex equipment stock pile so that will give me something to do. I already have one on the bench, up and running Linux Mint and is nearly ready for boxing up. Just need to get it online now. Yes I Do Dabble.... :D :lol:

Only problem now is MY "organic" memory.

Pete

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 16 May 2017, 15:07

No Eileen, I have never been forced to buy anything directly by Microsoft, but they make it jolly
difficult to repair if something goes wrong, so I always buy the O/S to enable me to do a complete "clean" install if the need arises.

Yes Pete, I "dabble" too

Tom