Backup showing red

Ken Prescott

Backup showing red

Post by Ken Prescott » 04 Jun 2014, 12:30

I hesitate to ask this question, as it shows up my Computer ignorance, My desktop and laptop download to each other. (I think it is called linked)
Both machines are windows 7 , with partitioned drives 3 partitions on the Laptop Operating system, user data, and backup. backup shows red, and has 4.07 free of 65.3 GB Desktop 4 partitions Local, Backup, user data, Archive Backup (D) shows up in red, has 2.39 of 87.8 GB free.
I have Norton 360 on both machines, I get messages asking me to buy more storage space.

Do I have a potential problem,,, I do not back up to seperate locations,

Thinh I should sign my self off as hopeless instead of

Ken Prescott
Norwich.

Graham from Derby

Re: Backup showing red

Post by Graham from Derby » 04 Jun 2014, 16:02

Yep.....

Running low on disk space. Could always as I do back up to external Hard Drive in so doing free up disk space on your PC.
Also check if there is any programs etc that you no longer need and can delete. Also empty recycle bin.

Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Roland

Post by Roland » 05 Jun 2014, 23:21

Hello Ken,

Just noticed your post and you mentioning that the message asks you to buy more storage space.

I suspect that you have "automatic backup" - the "online" one enabled in your Norton 360 program. That will backup data to Norton's servers for up to 2Gb I believe. Once that is full, Norton wants you to pay money to get more space :-).

Just check your Antivirus program's setting/preferences - maybe that is the thing that keeps complaining. I personally don't like it, when software tries to backup my personal data to some server somewhere. I make my own backups to a dedicated disk at home. Plus my Internet connection is so terribly slow, that I couldn't upload anything anyway :lol:

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 06 Jun 2014, 07:45

Best plan. Ditch Norton. Plenty of free programs that do a better job.

Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Ken Prescott

Post by Ken Prescott » 06 Jun 2014, 08:48

May I thank. Graham. And. Roland. For there advice, you are correct that Norton is backing up files, even dropbox. Will ditch. Norton before its renewal date.
I blass the day I joined this forum, and blass Eileen and Ray for running it.

Ken.