Help please - backing up Tyros5 to Windows8

Michael R

Help please - backing up Tyros5 to Windows8

Post by Michael R » 04 Jul 2014, 22:02

I have always made a 'mirror image' copy of my Tyros HD to my computer for a few years since Eileen and Ray showed me how to do it properly.

In Windows 7, I select 'Computer', then connect my Tyros5 to the computer with a usb cable, power on Tyros while holding down the Musicfinder button, and the Tyros5HDD icon appears on screen. I then click on Tyros5HDD to select it, then from the 'Organise' button drop down menu on top left select 'Copy'. Then double click on computer hard drive C to open it and go back to the 'Organise' button, select 'Paste' and the whole of the Tyros5 hard drive copies as a single folder named
"-TYROS5HDD-". Works perfectly every time!

We also have a Windows 8 laptop which is mainly used by my wife, but it makes sense so me to make a second copy of my Tyros hard drive just in case my Windows 7 laptop 'dies'! It has always been a bit more difficult to do as the 'Organise' button from the 'Computer' page is missing in Windows 8. I don't know why they bothered with it as I like Windows 7 much better. So when the Tyros5 HDD appears on screen, if I select it and it becomes highlighted, there is no 'Copy, Paste etc' on the bar along the top of the window (I think it's called a ribbon on Windows 8. If I use the other method, which is to right click on Tyros5HDD, then select 'Copy', then open the main hard drive, right click and select 'Paste', nothing happens!! The only way I can get the 'Copy, Paste etc' commands on the top bar is to double click Tyros5HDD, which then obviously shows all the individual Files and Folders which I don't want to copy (by selecting all - copy - paste), I want to copy the Tyros5HDD folder intact!!

The strange thing is, I've always managed to do this up until this week on the Windows 8 laptop. It's been a bit more 'fiddly' than the Windows 7 but I've always managed to get it to work eventually. I haven't changed anything (well not that I can think of!!) but I spent hours yesterday and again today but I now find it impossible to copy the Tyros5 hard drive to Windows 8. I'll be honest, it's driving me mad!!! I know it's only a second back up and I also copy the copy I make on Windows 7 to a usb stick as well, but I just hate not being able to work out why something that I have done every week for years suddenly stops working!! Also, if, which will happen sooner or later, I have to stop using my Windows 7 laptop if it breaks etc, I will no longer be able to make my usual mirror image copies which are so good to have.

I really hope someone has an answer please?!!

Michael
Genos, Fender Precision bass, Orange Bass Amp.

Eileen

Re: Help please - backing up Tyros5 to Windows8

Post by Eileen » 05 Jul 2014, 21:52

Hi Michael,
You copy to windows 8 the same way as windows 7. When you right click on the Tyros5HDD just select C Drive from the drop down menu. Ray runs Windows 8 and much prefers it to my Windows 7.

Genos and S970.

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 06 Jul 2014, 00:04

Hi Eileen. It was working on my Windows 8 until this week. But now it isn't working by right clicking for some reason. But, I found out tonight how to put the Copy/Paste etc commands on the toolbar so will try this in the morning and let you know!!

Thanks

Michael

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 06 Jul 2014, 15:49

Hi Michael, I know that this is no consolation, but several years ago I had the same problem with WIN XP and Ty 4
I posted it on this forum, and spoke to Eileen and Ray about it .
It appeared I was still doing everything "right", but after starting to copy, it just "froze" and locked up,
but when I did the same operation on my laptop (again XP) it worked perfectly.
We never got to the bottom of it, but I found that when I had to re-install Windows (for a different reason)
everything went back to "normal."

Tom
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 06 Jul 2014, 19:25

Well this has driven me absolutely mad this last few days!!! And I'm still no nearer!!! I've tried everything I can think of, which is all just trial and error as I know nothing about computers!!

Thanks Tom. It has crossed my mind to do that actually but it's such a big job it would really be a last resort. I did wonder whether deleting and re-installing the Yamaha driver might be worth a try? I suppose it wouldn't take long to do!

I've given up for today!! I have chronic back problems and messing about with this has really made things worse so need to forget about it for tonight and have a lie down and rest.

Tomorrow, I will try again!! So any ideas welcome!!

Michael

Fred

Post by Fred » 06 Jul 2014, 19:44

Hi Michael

I'm not sure if I can help, however for what it's worth I do not think the keyboard is the problem, I'm sure it is a Windows thing.

I have a PC running W8 but rarely use it as I prefer the Mac. I did connect the two together for the first time relier today and mine behaves exactly as yours does. Not having used the W8 machine on my T5 I don't know if it a new thing or not, but I cannot use the copy feature on the root name of the keyboard. Move to the next level and the Copy Feature returns.

Since I bought my T5 I have not put all the junk back on that was on the T4, so for backups I have been using the MusicSoft Manger to transfer files about. When the HD collects a lot more stuff I will simply remove the HD and connect it to the PC just the same as I would a USB Device.

Fred
GENOS

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 06 Jul 2014, 20:32

I agree Fred, I don't think it is a Yamaha problem, it is more likely a Windows glitch.

I know re-installing Windows is a major job, and I wouldn't do it solely to "cure" this problem, I had to do it for other reasons
and it may only be coincidental that it "cured" the Tyros problem.
Maybe a system reset on keyboard and a system restore on the computer may have the desired effect, both of which
cause minimal changes to the systems but might just be the "wake-up" they need.

Tom

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 06 Jul 2014, 21:24

hi again Michael,
I am told by a good friend who knows about these thing far better than me,
is that there is an alternative method, and I quote

he can create a new folder on desktop, open Tyros HDD ...select all......left click one of the files and drop whole lot to new folder. .

I'm sure this will work but does not of course explain why a method used many times, no longer works.

Tom

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 06 Jul 2014, 22:05

Thank you Tom and Fred for your advice. It really is very much appreciated. I feel much better now knowing that it is not a fault in my Tyros5 or laptop.

As I can still make backups in the usual way on my Windows 7 laptop (making a second on the Windows 8, which is mainly used by my wife, was only a 'belt and braces' approach) so I think I'll stop worrying about it and just try it now and again and see if it starts working again. If it worked ok before, it may be a Windows update than has upset things, so maybe another update will correct things!

Tom, I was thinking earlier about a similar thing to what your friend suggested. If I was to make a folder on my hard drive called TYROS5HDD, then open the Tyros5 hard drive, select all and paste in this folder, I would think this would have the same end result as copying the Tyros5 hard drive intact (which in effect is exactly what your friend said, but using the hard drive rather than desktop).

I'd just like to thank Eileen, Tom and Fred once again for your help. This was driving me mad!! I feel much better about the issue now. as I said, I will try it again now and then and see if it does start working and post if it does. Meanwhile, if anyone else has had the same problem and cured it, I'd be interested to hear about it!

Many thanks

Michael