Slow Computer

denpsr

Slow Computer

Post by denpsr » 20 Jan 2015, 07:11

Hello, On my 'C' drive I have L O T S of things gathered over the years.
Question 1. How do I reduce the number of start up programs? It takes ages for my computer to come to life without locking up.
Question 2. If I format the C drive will I loose all the XP upgrades and fixes?
Looks like I may be in for days of work to re-install programs like Adobe and Java etc.
regards, Den.
waiter:- I wait at centerlink, at Medicare, at the medical center-- what else?
Nothing is impossible! the word says it I'm possible

Fred

Re: Slow Computer

Post by Fred » 20 Jan 2015, 11:57

Hi Den

As you know XP is now no longer supported, so I would be very reluctant to start over again. If you still have the original disk you can re-install it but it would not include any updates and I'm not sure if they are still available.

Fred
GENOS

salan

Re: Slow Computer

Post by salan » 21 Jan 2015, 10:24

Hello Den

This has happened to every computer I've had and is always a problem, a couple of things I used to do was to defrag the hard disc every so often, say every couple of months, and another thing you could try is to go into configsys, here you should be able to configure what items you want at start up.I use a tablet now and find it much better than using a desk top computer.
I wish you good luck and let us know how you get on, maybe other members will be able to chip in with other ideas, I think Fred is correct in saying support for Windows XP has ended so think carefully before wiping your hard drive.Try googling for more info.

Regards

Alan

TYROS 5-76