Transferring song to Computer on PSRE413

edsa0601

Transferring song to Computer on PSRE413

Post by edsa0601 » 16 May 2015, 16:54

Hello.
I'd like to play a tune on my PSR E413 and then transfer it to my computer (which I have connected by USB and relevant driver).
I find I can't do it - what is transferred is the backup file (.BUP format) containing all songs.
But I am not sure how to open this backup file.
I'd prefer to transfer just my song to the computer to a folder of my choice. I have no idea what the format to be saved but would prefer MP3.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Eileen

Re: Transferring song to Computer on PSRE413

Post by Eileen » 16 May 2015, 19:31

You will need to choose a programme that you can play your song into. Audacity is quite a good one and allows editing as well as saving to MP3 format.

Tyros 5 and S970.

andyg

Re: Transferring song to Computer on PSRE413

Post by andyg » 24 May 2015, 21:14

You can't play or open the BUP file on anything other than the keyboard. It contains no sound, just Yamaha data in a proprietary format.

You need to record it to audio. Eileen mentions Audacity, which does the job nicely and is free, but you still need to connect the audio output from keyboard to your computer. You'll need a lead that plugs into the headphones jack socket on the keyboard (that's a 1/4" stereo jackplug) and into your computer at the other end. This is usually a 6.3mm stereo plug. However, it gets tricky here, as not all computers or laptops have a 'line level' input, many only have a 'mike' input, and that isn't always suitable, You'd have to try it. If the sound is distorted, then you'll have to buy a USB Audio Mixer (you can get them from around £60 or so). The keyboard then plugs into the mixer and the mixer plugs into the computer via USB. This will give you high quality results with Audacity. You'll have to decide if the expense is warranted.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com