Updating Tyros 5 on iMac

Geordielad

Updating Tyros 5 on iMac

Post by Geordielad » 02 Nov 2015, 17:23

I have been adventurous and decided to update my keyboard to the latest 1.11 version. I am a beginner on computers so if I'm lucky and get any replies please keep it simple. Previously I managed updates on my laptop for T5 using Windows operating system.
The problem I have is I cannot extract the prg files on the iMac, I can unzip the file but once I tried to open it, message stated something like (Apple does not support this) I got this first time now if I try again all I get is The Apple Store, I think I must need some sort of app to open the file and retrieve the prg files?.
I have managed to update the T5 to the latest version using the laptop and Windows, but as the laptop is wheezing a bit and about to expire, I would like to be able to do updates on my Mac.

Hoping someone has the answer?, Bill. :)

Fred

Re: Updating Tyros 5 on iMac

Post by Fred » 02 Nov 2015, 19:44

Hi Bill

There is no need to "OPEN" the PRG file on any computer. Simply put the file onto a USB Stick (in the Root directory) the rest is just the same as with the Windows system.

Fred
GENOS

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 03 Nov 2015, 01:19

Hi Bill,
You have to extract the zip file onto the root directory of your USB as the keyboard will not see it other wise.

Genos and S970.

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 03 Nov 2015, 10:22

Thanks Eileen and Fred for the quick reply, I formatted my usb on the T5 so there was nothing on the usb, so no folders or anything for the file to in.
When I unzip the file on the Mac I get a file named "exec" I cannot enter this on the Mac, if I try to I get the Apple Store.
When I put the same zipped file on the Windows laptop I unzipped it entered the new unzipped file and found the prg this I copied to usb then it worked on T5.
I tried the zipped and exec file on T5 and no luck, only way it worked was with the prg. extracted.
I download the Firmware Installation Procedure from Yamaha in there it states :-

3. Extract the *prg files included in the Zip file and copy them to the root directory of your usb drive.

This is how I managed to update the T5.
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, Bill. :roll:

Fred

Post by Fred » 03 Nov 2015, 12:13

Hi Bill

The MAC operates differently to the Standard Windows machines and I think it is this that is confusing you.

1. The MAC sometimes does the Unzipping Automatically.
2. If you see in the "Finder" a file called TYROS5SETUP.PRG the MAC has indeed done the Unzipping for you, so there is no need to do anything else.
3. If you click on the file name, it will show up in the right hand pane that it is an EXEC File. This happens simply because the MAC does not recognise the File Extension PRG. It will always show up in the L/H Pane as a PRG File.

4. All you have to do is copy this file to the ROOT Directory of the USB Stick. It is confusing because the MAC actually makes it very simple. You think that it cannot be that simple and try to do more than is actually required.

Regards

Fred.
GENOS

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 03 Nov 2015, 20:18

Cheers Fred for that reply, you are spot on, the file is indeed in finder and as my T5 is updated already I will try your method when the next update is available.
Thank you very much for your time and input in helping me, most appreciated, Bill. :)