How do I STEP RECORD in 6/8 time.

Geordielad

How do I STEP RECORD in 6/8 time.

Post by Geordielad » 01 Apr 2014, 10:33

Hello, does anyone have any ideas about step recording notes in 6/8 time on Tyros keyboards?. I sequence a lot of counter melodies from the music in a lot of my songs, I have no problem step recording when the time is 4/4 or 3/4 using a 4/4 or 3/4 keyboard style, but with 6/8 style, no luck.
Any information would be very appreciated, Bill.

Eileen

Re: How do I STEP RECORD in 6/8 time.

Post by Eileen » 01 Apr 2014, 10:48

Hi Bill,
I am no expert as I have never used step record but 6/8 must be in the family of 3/4 and I would do a little trying out with different value notes here and see what you come up with.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Michael R

Post by Michael R » 01 Apr 2014, 14:08

Hi Bill. I've never used step recording for melodies, only occasionally step recorded a chord sequence. However, a 6/8 is not really related to 3/4 but rather 2/4 but with two dotted crotchets or six quavers in groups of three, but with the feel of two beats in a bar. However, Yamaha (and I think perhaps most other keyboards) don't give the option of true 6/8 styles. There are 6/8 styles but they use a 4/4 time signature so one bar of the style is really two bars of 6/8. So to step record, I suppose you would have to set your notes as 4 sets of triplets within a bar of a 4/4 style? Sorry if this is not very clear. Maybe someone like Andy G might do a better job of explaining it!

Michael
Tyros5-76, Fender Precision bass, Orange Bass Amp.

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Hello Eileen and Micheal, thank you both for your thoughts on my problem and I will certainly give them a try.
I emailed Yamaha to see if any they could help and I enclose their reply, which I don't understand, as I am already using a 6/8 style (schlager 6/8).

My email to Yamaha.
Hello, does anyone have any ideas about step recording notes in 6/8 time on Tyros keyboards?. I sequence a lot of counter melodies from the music in a lot of my songs, I have no problem step recording when the time is 4/4 or 3/4 using a 4/4 or 3/4 keyboard style, but with 6/8 style, no luck. I am not very clued up with computers and prefer to do step recording on my keyboard, I realise there are many apps out there that may help with this, but I much prefer to do this on the keyboard, if it is possible?. Any information would be very appreciated, Bill.

Their reply.
If you wish to record a piece of Music in 6/8 time, please change the Metronome type to 6/8 (Direct Access and Metronome). This will then change the Time Signature to 6/8.
Please note that if you use a Style, the time signature of the Style will take priority over the Metronome.

We hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK).

P.S. Just sent another email to Yamaha with a bit more info, it may shed more light to members in what I am trying to do, :roll: .

Thank you for reply, unfortunately this did not solve my problem. Maybe I did not explain enough so I will give you more information.
I am using the Tyros 5 style “Schlager6-8, the music I am using is in 6/8, the music has obviously SIX (Quaver) notes in a bar, as the tyros sequencer only provides notes as low as Semiquaver I cannot get the notes to fit into a bar. If it went to Demisemiquaver I might be able to add one of these to a Semiquaver and get the timing right?.
Surely there must be away way to solve this problem. I do realise that very few people sequence in the song creator but I do so enjoy hearing the counter melodies in a song I have done.
I hope I am not being a pest but your assistance would be very valued, Bill.

THE END TO THE SAGA it cannot be done. SEE REPLY FROM STEVE MARSDEN, OF YAMAHA. Good old Yamaha and a really quick reply, bless them, they even included a style but I cannot open it???, never mind I got the answer to my question.

Dear Mr Watson
Thank you for your reply and you are not a pest so please do not worry however the 6/8 Styles in the Tyros 5 are programmed so be 'Musically correct' however they are programmed so that the instrument flashes on the downbeat of the Style. To enable this the instrument uses a 4/4 template you would be unable to really use the Step Record with this Style without thinking in 4/4.
To perform Step Record in 6/8, you will need obtain a Style that is written in 6/8.

I have attached a Style that should do this for you however it was not originally produced for the Tyros 5 but may help in this case

Kind regards

Steve Marsden

salan

Post by salan » 05 Apr 2014, 12:55

Hello Bill

Just read you're interesting post regarding 6/8 time using the step recorder, I think I'm going to have the same problem,I have always liked the song Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for Fears and I've bought the music for it from Musicnotes.However having listened to the original recording I can hear that it's also in 6/8 so it seems I'm also going to have a problem.There is a 6/8 rock style on the Tyros 5 in the Pop and Rock style section and might suit my project OK I hope, I always think about 6/8 when one says " humpty dumpty" Don't know if this will help you at all, otherwise we're stuck with a problem, I suppose it's possible to get over this using a DAW on computer, I have an old Music Creator programme and will have a look at this.
Hope you have success with your project Bill.

Regards

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 06 Apr 2014, 08:51

Hello Alan, re the continuing saga of trying to do "Andante Andante" I can play the song using the 6/8 Schlarger as this seems a good choice for this song, it's just that I like to sequence in all the fiddly bits that to me just give the song that little bit extra (I have a musical friend who thinks I'm nuts for sitting there for hours inputting notes one by one :roll: ). I always do my performances as a song then transfer this to the Audio Recorder, Its a great way of correcting any mistakes I make in the song recording and I can turn on/off channels when transferring to Audio to embellish my efforts.
Let me know how you get on with your 6/8 enterprise, Bill. :)

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 06 Apr 2014, 11:09

Hi Bill,
Have you ever tried playing the "fiddly bits" and recording to a multi pad which you can then activate at the right time.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 07 Apr 2014, 08:10

Hello Eileen, good idea never thought of doing that with a multi pad, Bill. :)