Music books

salan

Music books

Post by salan » 05 Apr 2014, 13:59

Hello all

What does everyone think about how some music books are produced,I have a few that are not spiral bound and I find these books are an absolute pain to use,always closing up when used.why the publishers do not make them all spiral bound is beyond me,maybe to save a few pence or a quid or two to produce but worth the extra just for ease of use.I have a comb binding machine that I use to convert my books and I have found this to be my answer,but surely the publishers of these non spiral bound books do not test drive them,if so then they would soon realise how useless they are made like this.Look forward to your replies.

Regards

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Fred

Re: Music books

Post by Fred » 05 Apr 2014, 15:44

Hi Alan

I have to agree lots of books are really bad. I have a Comb Binder that I convert some of the books into a ring binder format, so though are not suitable as the score starts to close to the left hand side of the page. Fort hose that have a good margin I take into Staples and have them cut off 2mm of the binding on their power guillotine which gives me a nice clean edge. It only cost 15pence per book and is far better than using a "Stanley" knife.

Fred
Tyros 5 / 76

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 05 Apr 2014, 15:59

If you are like me Alan I like to play certain songs from certain books so I scan the music and use four ring binders with anti glare pockets. Great for setting up play lists with registrations that follow the book. I am now getting into using an Ipad for the same thing.
I think we a have our own way of doing things.

Tyros 5 and S970.

salan

Post by salan » 05 Apr 2014, 16:18

Hi Eileen

Thanks for replying, the problem with scanning is if the book is quite thick, then it is almost impossible to scan pages from these.I also like certain songs from different books and would like to make a folder of my favs but it's a problem if it's not possible to scan them.I don't see why the publishers cannot offer a choice between spiral bound and non spiral, cost I suppose.Will have to find somewhere to have them guillotined I suppose.Our Staples no longer exists.

Regards

Alan

TYROS 5-76

Geordielad

Post by Geordielad » 06 Apr 2014, 08:31

Hello Alan, as a retired Printer who worked on the presses for many years (and have a missing finger to prove it :x ) I had a lot of my music books done in the Binding Dept, just a case of chopping of a bit and then get it spiral bound, maybe you could try a local Print Company and see if they will do it for you?.
I photocopy my music books and put the photocopies into a A4 "Display Book" with 40 plastic anti glare pockets, I buy these from Wilkinsons (bar code 6934274187515) these books are very cheap and a much better way of reading music as you are playing. I then have all my e.g. ABBA songs in one book and this makes it real easy to find tunes I have done, I also mark on the photo copies the style used and other info as to how I did the song.
Good luck in your quest, Bill. :)