Piano Music

Little Jo

Piano Music

Post by Little Jo » 29 Apr 2014, 15:27

I am a frustrated musician, who looks at the books in our shop and when i look at all the Piano Music (ONLY PIANO), I really wish they could add the chords. I know I can read both clefs, but I have become lazy and prefer reading Chord Symbols. Also when you actually look at keyboard music, it really isn't inspiring for people who can play advanced level and getting hold of Organ Music, is near impossible. I truly wish Music Companies, would do this. Just thought I would share that with you.
Little Jo :?

Graham from Derby

Re: Piano Music

Post by Graham from Derby » 29 Apr 2014, 16:22

On a similar theme I was looking for a piece of music sung by Cliff Richard. You are to young to remember this one Jo.
The Next Time from Summer Holiday. Could only find it with Base Clef added. It did have chord notes printed so OK. But I find reading music with Base Clef line I get lost. I can not read Base line. So I have to Photo copy it. Cut the Base line out then stick it all together and re photo copy to get just Treble Clef line with chords above. I agree with Jo. the sheet music industry needs to look more into what newer players need.

Graham
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

geoff

Post by geoff » 29 Apr 2014, 21:54

That's what I do Graham. I find the bass clef annoying, distracting and of no use to me at all.
I usually end up with just one sheet of music which is helpful.

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 30 Apr 2014, 00:19

I think an awful lot of us just use Top Line and Chord music. I was in to much of a hurry to play music that I never learnt Bass Clef.
Some of this music can be very basic but I find adding a few different chords can spice it up a bit.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 30 Apr 2014, 08:24

I did start to learn Base Clef but starting out in my 60,s learning to play from scratch, learning to read music and all the other stuff base clef was a bridge to far. Funny how we all develop our own ways of playing and reading music. All good fun.
Graham

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 30 Apr 2014, 10:50

Yes Graham,
I think that as long as we enjoy doing what we do that is the main thing.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 01 May 2014, 12:05

I agree with all of you, I think we should start our own publishing music company for frustrated keyboard players of all degrees of playing. We would make a mint. :D Take care Jo

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 01 May 2014, 13:31

As long as it is not Kevin Baker books I am OK. Never want to see another again.

:| Graham

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 01 May 2014, 14:08

Graham do you mean kenneth Baker Books, if it is, yes i agree. I do love "The Buskers series" as you can improvise. I do read PVG Music, which does have all clefs, 2 x Trebles and Bass Clef, but I just look at the Chords. The reason I do read this type of Music is, I quite enjoy playing the 2nd Treble clef line as it is for the Musician's as the top line is for the Singer. But this can get technical. Oh just thought I would mention I have just signed up to "The Box", so I will get on with a song for the challenge, should be fun. I am going to go and look for something interesting to play with "Love" in the title.
Anyway better get on with work. Jo x :P

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 01 May 2014, 14:34

Look forward to that Jo. :)

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 01 May 2014, 14:45

Yes Kenneth Baker. Trying hard to obliterate them from my memory bank. The music teachers I had used them. I said but that is not the kind of music I like or want to learn to play. Waste of time. Was told if you can not play what you don't like you will not be able to play the music you do like. Must be some sort of logic but I thought at my time of life I would much rather enjoy what I am learning. Each to his own I suppose.

Look forward to hearing you Jo.
PS was nice to have met you and an asset to the forum.
Graham

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 01 May 2014, 15:02

I can't believe that with that teacher, I understand that we have to push ourselves, but when i teach, I try to get people to play music that they enjoy, so that want to learn and practise. If pupils wanted to do grades, this is different, but that teachers explanation, is not how to inspire pupils. Well at least you can play now and don't need dear old Kenneth Baker, especially the organ course he did with all of the 6th chords. I did have a pupil who insisted that he played the 6th chords, but on PSR900 it didn't sound as good as he wouldn't understand that it was playing the Minor chord as C6 is Am7.
Anyway, I have been looking for songs, just can't decide yet what to do.
Jo :D

Roland

Post by Roland » 01 May 2014, 15:17

Hello Jo,

If you have a MIDI file where you can see the score on your keyboard display, but no chords; you could also use the PSRUTI utility to generate the chord symbols. It's for free and quite nicely done. Here's the link:
http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.ph ... &Itemid=44 Hat's off to the good fellow who wrote all these utilities !!! :D

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 01 May 2014, 15:20

Wow thanks Roland, that is kind of you, I will give it a go when I am back home, currently at work. I have quite a few midi files, through my job, so this will be a good way.
Thanks Again
Jo :D

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 01 May 2014, 15:42

Had 3 Keyboard Teachers Jo. All 3 come out with KB book. Seems silly to go and pay a teacher who teaches from a book that says on the cover "teach yourself to play Keyboard"

GRaham

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 01 May 2014, 15:55

:lol: that's good. How true. :D I admit I did always wonder why people didn't just read the books themselves especially the one's that come with the cd's, you can actually hear what you should be playing. I still have a couple of my original pieces from my lessons, they are a little bit tattered seeing they are 30 years old. I can't see how so many youngsters and older people are learning from You Tube, I couldn't manage that, i would need to have the music in front of me. Jo x 8-)

Elainehf

Post by Elainehf » 06 May 2014, 14:37

The strangest book is the Herb Alpert Complete downloaded from PSR Tutorial which shows the Chord names UNDER the base clef line. How weird is that?

Elaine

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 07 May 2014, 11:46

I once knew a teacher who would ask what tune you wanted to learn and he would then write it out for you and teach you how to play it.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 07 May 2014, 12:53

That Eileen is a teacher who knows their job. Wish I had known one like that.

Graham

dave952

Post by dave952 » 08 May 2014, 17:13

I tried the PSRUTI utility recommended in this thread by Roland to generate chords for my midi files as I find it much easier to read music with chords from the screen on my CVP piano instead of using books or an ipad.

The PSRUTI utility allows you to automatically generate chords from a midi fie, sometimes with excellent results. With some songs it can generate a few (or a lot) of incorrect chords but it also allows you to edit the chords it generates. Obviously editing the chords takes a bit of patience but you can pick up the chords for most songs from the Ultimate Guitar site and then copy and save them into your midi file via the PSRUTI.

Apparently you can also copy and paste lyrics into your midi file using this utility although I haven't worked out how to do that yet.

Thanks again for the recommendation Roland :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ken Prescott

Post by Ken Prescott » 11 May 2014, 08:32

Good morning all: This subject interests me, I started playing after an illness at about 40, now 83 one week ago. I found that although I am an avid reader of books, reading music was far to difficult for me. I soon found that if I used simple chords, I could play music from memory. However, that has a downside, my memory retains, only that what it is interested in, so in many cases, I will play the melody of well known pieces, missing out perhaps nice interesting introductions. What I would be interested in, is a teacher who could come to me, not to teach me to read music, but to teach me how to get more out of my keyboard as a workstation, rather than a keyboard. I must admit to being a slow learner. I parted with my beloved Yamaha AR100 Organ several years ago, for a Clavinova, in order to get to use my left hand more. I love both my instruments, and play for my own pleasure

Ken Prescott Clavinova CVC509 Tyros5.

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 11 May 2014, 10:49

Hi Ken,
Do you have any keyboard clubs near to you. This is where you would pick up tips on using things like Multi Pads to add to the song and maybe adding a counter melody track to play along to. Altering a style part to fit what you want. It all depends on what you want to do. Maybe post a song and ask members for tips.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 11 May 2014, 12:54

I went to our Local Yamaha Music School to learn about my workstation. They were not interested or probably did not have a clue. But these schools are franchised and only seem to teach playing keyboards and not their usefulness.

Graham

Ken Prescott

Post by Ken Prescott » 22 May 2014, 14:51

Sorry to do this Graham, but I am afraid I have to agree with you. I did belong to a local keyboard club, before I met Sheila, all keyboards were Technics, 6000, and 7000, all players with one exception were, average home players, non as far as I remember, were into the setting up side of things.

Ken Prescott (Norwich)

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 22 May 2014, 17:03

I suppose that is where we are lucky in this aria as Allegro Music shops run a Tyros club about once a month where
Little Jo who is a member here dose just that. Shows you how to use all the features of your keyboard. If you are in the Essex aria look them up.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Graham from Derby

Post by Graham from Derby » 22 May 2014, 17:18

That must be very useful and having Jo to show you must be quite an advantage. Don't know if little jo is quite right , more like little miss dynamite. So much energy :D

Graham

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 22 May 2014, 20:47

You are right there Graham. Hope she is having a nice Birthday.

Tyros 5 and S970.