Allegro Music Colchester

Eileen

Allegro Music Colchester

Post by Eileen » 01 Oct 2014, 00:54

I was saddened to hear that Allegro music is to close down in Colchester. I have been dealing with them for the last eighteen years.
I understand that there music school is to continue else where but with no sales. Seems very strange as these pupils will have to go to either Chelmsford or Westcliffe if they want to purchase new keyboards. Both places are quite a few miles away. Admittedly the shop was not in the best position but with all the empty shops around I wonder that they have not gone for one that is better positioned.

Tyros 5 and S970.

seawolf

Re: Allegro Music Colchester

Post by seawolf » 01 Oct 2014, 14:38

It's like that round here Eileen, our 2 music shops closed down years ago,
very sad, I always enjoyed looking around them and seeing the
latest models.

Tom
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 01 Oct 2014, 20:27

Yes Tom,
A lot are now just selling from the internet. Not so many over heads I suspect.

Tyros 5 and S970.

geoff

Post by geoff » 01 Oct 2014, 23:20

I'm surprised to hear that Allegro are closing Eileen, I thought they did quite well for sales. I always used to give them a look if I was visiting Colchester. Same here though, the nearest sales are 30 miles away.

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 03 Oct 2014, 19:06

Hi All
It is very sad to see Colchester Shop having to close, it is even sadder having to say Goodbye to Jon and Steve, even though Steve will hopefully be doing work in our Chelmsford Branch. Allegro is still going at the other two shops, but thanks to Colchester and the parking and the area the shops is. It just found it so hard to compete with the other main Music Shop I. Colchester and of course the Internet. Personally I am gutted to lose such a great guy I. Jon, he is so knowledgeable when it comes to technology and all keyboards and synths. He is also a really lovely guy and doesn't deserve this, but that is down to the Management. I will still be running Tyros Club and I am still at Allegro, but I am now working back in Chelmsford mainly and a couple of days at Westcliff. I know technology has moved on since the time of the home organ and Wurlitizer, but also it brings downfalls when people buy on line.
Jon has see your lovely comments and is touched by them.
Anyway I thought I had better say something as I am part of Allegro.
Thanks once again.
Jo

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 03 Oct 2014, 22:46

Thanks Jo,
I shall miss John as he was always so kind and helpful. See you on Sunday.

Tyros 5 and S970.

seawolf

Post by seawolf » 05 Oct 2014, 16:34

Internet selling, is becoming more popular Eileen, but how do you
choose something like a keyboard, or a bed , or a 3 pce suite, these things
have to be tested out in a shop before you buy.

Tom
every time I think, I think I think a thought

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure

I'm a self made man. I just used shoddy materials.

If at first you don't succeed, Don't try SKYDIVING

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 05 Oct 2014, 18:36

That is the problem Tom,
You also lose the help and friendliness of the staff in the shop and also can no longer browse through the music books. Very sad.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Little Jo

Post by Little Jo » 09 Oct 2014, 18:51

To all. As a member of staff at Allegro, I admit I get so frustrated with the Internet. I agree with all of you, how can you judge what an instrument sounds like, if you listen to a demo on your computer. The speakers are completely different, you also don't have the support of the actual shop staff who are usually very experienced with the instruments. We are always there after you have you keyboard delivered and nothing makes me happier when customers return to ask questions or just tell us how you are getting on.
This is normal selling, not a invisible person on a computer saying. "Your item has been dispatched!"
It is nice to know how all of you support your local shops, we need this to keep them open.
But I will say I am always available at Allegro, if you ever need some advice etc....
Hope you don't mind my opinion on this matter.
Little Jo 8-)

andyg

Post by andyg » 09 Oct 2014, 21:37

Always sad to see a long established name close down or 'downsize'. I remember some happy times back in the 1980's doing organ demos for Allegro at Chelmsford and Colchester. Busy times back then. I once did a 'used model' evening for them - they couldn't tell me what I'd be playing until I got there and there was no time to set up any presets etc. Everything had to be played the old fashioned way. I think that went down well and we sold a few that night.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com