Arranger Keyboards in general

chelsea4023

Arranger Keyboards in general

Post by chelsea4023 » 12 Jan 2015, 13:38

Hi all,

I was hoping one or two of the helpful members on this Forum can be of some assistance.
I have a great niece who lives a considerable distance from me. I am in London, she is in Folkestone, Kent. Her Mum told me how she was always trying to play melodies on her friends Casio keyboard. As a result I managed to pick up a used PSR-S500, keyboard stand, sustain pedal and headphones in excellent condition, which is now in my great niece's possession.
Unfortunately I have not been able to sit with her to run through the keyboards facilities. What I am actually looking for is some kind of video that shows how an arranger keyboard works, the mechanics of left hand auto accompaniment, etc. All hopefully in a fairly uncomplicated fashion as she will be trying to learn on her own. If anyone can supply a link, e.g. youtube or other my great niece and I would be very grateful.
Alternatively, if any members know of any teachers in the Folkestone/ Dover/Canterbury area that teach arranger keyboards, I would be willing to pay for some lessons to get her started.

Chris

Eileen

Re: Arranger Keyboards in general

Post by Eileen » 12 Jan 2015, 15:23

Hi Chris,
It looks a nice little keyboard. I found this which is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJFDHlpUcQ

Genos and S970.

chelsea4023

Post by chelsea4023 » 12 Jan 2015, 19:59

Dear Eileen,
Thank you very much for the link, I will forward it onto her Mum. If anybody else knows of a tutorial for arranger keyboards could you please post a link, as I know my great niece would be very pleased.
With regards to the keyboard, I was looking for something that would present a challenge for my great niece (not too simple a keyboard), and was so pleased when I found an elderly gentleman selling this keyboard. I did have to drive from London to Cambridge to collect it, but for a total price of £100 I think it is an absolute bargain. I know I spent a few fun hours having a play.
Chris

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 13 Jan 2015, 00:00

Hi
Here is another video. This is the first of 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amzqPE5Kusk

After looking at the manual this is a neat keyboard. I would suggest if your niece should download the manual from Yamaha if it did not come with the keyboard. The keyboard has many of the features of some of the mid range boards therefore I would suggest she try these tutorials out. Although not specific to the Psr 500 all arrangers have similarities.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/index.html
In addition she will need to become proficient with chords. There is a good series of lessons on chords which will be great to get the most out of the board
http://www.psrtutorial.com/music/chords.html
This tutorial is not obvious on the site.
Hope this helps.
Of course she can join this site and ask questions as she encounters a problem.
Regards
Ed B

chelsea4023

Post by chelsea4023 » 13 Jan 2015, 18:33

Hi Ed B,
Thank you very much for the reply and link to the video and the tutorials. Unfortunately the keyboard in the video is not the same model that she has. The one in the video is the Yamaha PSR500, the one she has is the Yamaha PSR-S500. Personally I think that it is a bit strange for Yamaha to bring out two different models so similarly named.
Never the less I will soldier on looking for video tutorials, but a big thank you for links to PSR Tutorial about chords etc. I will forward them onto her.
Chris

Roland

Post by Roland » 14 Jan 2015, 01:15

Hello Chris,

Another idea maybe: You could use Skype with your great niece and show her on the Skype camera some of the things. Sometimes it's much easier to have a quick one-on-one to get an idea or point across. Just an idea.

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

chelsea4023

Post by chelsea4023 » 14 Jan 2015, 02:35

Hi Roland,
What a great idea. I think that would probably be a very good way of one to one tutoring. Thanks for the suggestion.
Chris