Harry, Catherine Howe

BigAl

Harry, Catherine Howe

Post by BigAl » 19 Oct 2015, 10:32

Hi from France,

Searching for sheet music (or a lead sheet) for this very haunting song from 1974 (a few versions on YouTube if you don't know it).

The "dots" seems to be very rare - not available from the publishers, Carlin Music, and the odd copy that apppears on Ebay is very expensive.

I have started to transcribe it but this is hard work!

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Alec
Tyros 5/61; P-155 digital piano; S4 grand piano

stearman65

Re: Harry, Catherine Howe

Post by stearman65 » 19 Oct 2015, 15:07

Hi I don't know what instrument you want the music for, but I did a quick search & found this one with various downloads very cheap.
Stearman65.
https://chordify.net/chords/catherine-h ... ynan-media

andyg

Post by andyg » 20 Oct 2015, 09:48

Thanks for the Chordify link, but five seconds listening tells me that the chords they show don't match the music. The letter names match the bass notes but that's not a great deal of help as the chords include things like E/B!

I haven't played Harry in years - I think I was the only guy on the organ circuit who bothered with it back in the day. I will have a crack at it in a minute or two - it's a rare day off and that means plenty of work on the organ - and a trip to the best fish and chip shop in the town for lunch. :D

So I'll copy Harry across to mp3 and re-learn it. Shouldn't be too hard to get a copy written out, but I won't be able to do it immediately. Watch this space, as they say.

Of course, if anyone's got a copy....... :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com

stearman65

Post by stearman65 » 20 Oct 2015, 11:21

I'm only guessing here but I've heard of some software the will print music when you play the tune, whether it's free or not but it may be worth a search? Have you checked https://musescore.org/
Stearman65

andyg

Post by andyg » 20 Oct 2015, 13:23

Such software only really works if the tune is played one note at a time, absolutely accurately.

It can't decipher harmonies, and if the playing isn't exactly on the beat, you tend to get gibberish on the page. There are ways of making it a bit more accurate, but by the time you've finished playing it in and then doing the tidying up, you might as well have bought the music!

Anyway, I've done the first verse of Harry. The other verses are much the same, with minor differences due to the different lyrics. I'll try to get the chorus done later and then check all the harmonies I'm hearing.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com

andyg

Post by andyg » 20 Oct 2015, 22:11

How's about this for service!

The piece is all done, I'll proof read it and double check the chords etc at work tomorrow. We'll have to find a soft ballad to go with it, or even an 'unplugged' acoustic style.

Once it's all checked and ready, I'll post a link to a pdf version that you can simply print out.

Andy
www.andrew-gilbert.com

BigAl

Post by BigAl » 21 Oct 2015, 09:39

[quote="andyg"]Thanks for the Chordify link, but five seconds listening tells me that the chords they show don't match the music. The letter names match the bass notes but that's not a great deal of help as the chords include things like E/B!

Sadly - although on first sight it looks great - I have to agree. The suggested chords just don't fit.

I've been using a trial version of Transcribe! - steepish learning curve but useful: you can play the recorded song at any speed without changing the pitch, which gives time to pick out the notes (it shows suggestions - usually too many though, with a mini piano keyboard to test them). It also shows chord suggestions that are sometimes helpful.

I use Musescore2 to write out the dots. Very useful (free!) program that seems to replicate most of the common functions of the pricey Sibelius. Again quite a steep learning curve but, as usual, the more you use it the faster it gets. You can enter note names (pitches) from the computer (or a midi keyboard - haven't tried that yet) but you need to specify the note length first. Shortcuts (once you know them) make this quite fast to do. Adding chords and lyrics is easy.

BigAl

Post by BigAl » 21 Oct 2015, 09:52

andyg wrote:How's about this for service!

The piece is all done, I'll proof read it and double check the chords etc at work tomorrow. We'll have to find a soft ballad to go with it, or even an 'unplugged' acoustic style.

Once it's all checked and ready, I'll post a link to a pdf version that you can simply print out.

Andy
Fantastic Andy! Really looking forward to that. I printed out my attempt at the "dots" yesterday - with some chords that mostly fitted although weren't "right" - and my "chanteuse" Alex gave it a try. It suits her voice very well, so it will be great to do it with the correct chords.

Although it sounds deceptively simple, there are some quite complex chords in this song.

Be interested to hear your style suggestions (I'm on a Tyros 5). Unplugged or an "Easy Country" style might fit, although we are increasingly using out-of-tempo piano or nylon guitar backings (harder work for me!) for songs like this. Ideally I should take my P155 piano on gigs as well but it's very heavy to lug around. What we really need is a road crew :-)

Many thanks

Alec

andyg

Post by andyg » 21 Oct 2015, 14:04

Just played it through on T5. There's one chord that even the T5's AI Mode can't do and that's the A11. So A7sus4 will have to do!

Style? If you want to stay close to the original youtube clip, then use Pop Guitar Ballad, variation A, plus a Multipad - Twin8BtArp, Pad 1. Has a lovely acoustic feel to it, going to variation B for the chorus just gives a little more movement.

The violin solos are done with S.Art Classic2ndVln, and I just used S.Art Orch Flute for the melody. It's an octave too high really, but carries the tune very well.

The only thing you can't easily do is put in all the tempo changes where Catherine Howe slows, pauses and then speeds up again. I tried it out on organ this morning before I came into work and of course you can do it all on that, but you have to do it manually!
www.andrew-gilbert.com

BigAl

Post by BigAl » 21 Oct 2015, 15:22

andyg wrote:Just played it through on T5. There's one chord that even the T5's AI Mode can't do and that's the A11. So A7sus4 will have to do!

Style? If you want to stay close to the original youtube clip, then use Pop Guitar Ballad, variation A, plus a Multipad - Twin8BtArp, Pad 1. Has a lovely acoustic feel to it, going to variation B for the chorus just gives a little more movement.

The violin solos are done with S.Art Classic2ndVln, and I just used S.Art Orch Flute for the melody. It's an octave too high really, but carries the tune very well.

The only thing you can't easily do is put in all the tempo changes where Catherine Howe slows, pauses and then speeds up again. I tried it out on organ this morning before I came into work and of course you can do it all on that, but you have to do it manually!
Can't wait to try it!

andyg

Post by andyg » 21 Oct 2015, 21:57

OK

Here's a link to the music, complete with performance notes. Enjoy - I know I will, as it's a great song!

https://app.box.com/s/lsi1swipm8a40pl2smlms5lbw0jfh1nj
www.andrew-gilbert.com

BigAl

Post by BigAl » 22 Oct 2015, 16:17

andyg wrote:OK

Here's a link to the music, complete with performance notes. Enjoy - I know I will, as it's a great song!

https://app.box.com/s/lsi1swipm8a40pl2smlms5lbw0jfh1nj
Wow! - really great work Andy. Had a few runs through on the Tyros and it sounds excellent. I emailed a copy to vocalist Alex, we will definitely be including this in our next set when she returns from the UK in a couple of weeks. We'll send you a recording when we've polished it.

[This has set me wondering whether it's possible to reprogram the break section of a style to include a "rit.", as in the original recording. I'll research this and maybe post it as a new question.]

Many thanks for your kindness and generosity in doing this transcription - and so quickly too. We are extremely impressed!

Best

Alec (and Alex)

andyg

Post by andyg » 22 Oct 2015, 16:41

You can't alter tempo within a break or fill, as far as I know. It would be nice and some of the endings do have rits in. However the programming software available to Yamaha' s style gurus is far more powerful than what's found in the keyboard. Jorgen's the expert on this sort of thing. Maybe he'll read this.

I'm going to record the whole thing live to the song recorder, pass it over to Cubase to insert the tempo changes into the song file and then get the T5 to play it back.
www.andrew-gilbert.com

Arnie

Post by Arnie » 22 Oct 2015, 20:32

Andy. What a great piece of music easy to follow and together with the help with set up and voices. Many thanks.

Regards Arnie
TYROS 5

BigAl

Post by BigAl » 23 Oct 2015, 09:26

andyg wrote:You can't alter tempo within a break or fill, as far as I know. It would be nice and some of the endings do have rits in. However the programming software available to Yamaha' s style gurus is far more powerful than what's found in the keyboard.
I had a feeling that (at best) it wouldn't be easy!

There are tempo changes (sometimes quite dramatic) in some of the Style intros as well (Broadway freeplay etc.). I wonder if adapting one of those - or finding out how it's done - might be a way to do it? Could program the "effects" pedal to play (e.g.) Intro II instead of Break.

I'll make a new posting of this question in the hope that it will attract more views.