How to make a free play style ?

Giovanni

How to make a free play style ?

Post by Giovanni » 15 Mar 2016, 17:46

Hi folks , Just wondering if any one knows of a tutorial /instructions to actually make a free play style ??
regards to you all ............Giovanni

Ed B

Re: How to make a free play style ?

Post by Ed B » 18 Mar 2016, 03:12

Hi
You can make a style following the procedure outlined in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVVfyNKZ6PM
A freeplay style just lacks the rhythmic content allowing you to play rubato.

Why not use some of the existing freeplay styles. If you have an earlier instrument that does not play SFF2 than use Jorgens convertor to convert them to SFF1
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

Regards
Ed B

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 18 Mar 2016, 23:54

With Free Styles you will see that each variation has at least 32 bars. This is to allow the free movement of playing rubato by not having to follow a specific beat. You will also notice that there are no rhythmic parts just held chords and bass line in most of them.
They are designed so you can play at your own pace not following any type of beat. There was a free style pack called Russian Classical I believe it is called that works well in Tyros 5. This has two new Free Play styles in it. There are also another two that you can purchase from Yamaha Music Soft.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » 20 Mar 2016, 17:08

Hi Eileen and Ed,Thanks for your replies . I was rushed to hospital with kidney stones !! stayed in a few days just got home and read your e mails. I have a PSR3000 which has been made into a module for use with my midi acoustic /accordion and music tech radio midi transmitter .I'm really enjoying all the wonderful Yamaha sounds and styles .....and then I heard FREE PLAY STYLES !! I really appreciate your advice ,I will be looking into your suggestions very soon .....I'm also very interested in the style convertor software from SFF2 to SFF1.
Once again many thanks ..........Giovanni

andyg

Post by andyg » 20 Mar 2016, 21:22

Commercial freeplay styles probably won't work on keyboard as 'old' (!) as the PSR3000 and I don't know how well they will 'downconvert' using the style converter. However, there is the AGFreestyle1 style that Ian McNeil and I came up with when the T3 came out. It's available on the downloads section of my website. It works just fine on the PSR3000 and if you go into the Mixer or Style Creator, you can revoice it without having to do any musical programming.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com

Ed B

Post by Ed B » 22 Mar 2016, 03:55

Hi
If you go to this link you will find Ocanimus has created some conversions for the Psr 3000. There are 4 in the Movie and Show section in the 3000 Megaplus group.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collecti ... cimus.html

Regards
Ed B

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 23 Mar 2016, 14:22

Very Interesting, Thank you... Pam :D

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » 23 Mar 2016, 22:52

Hi Andrew , Thanks for your help and advice . I Remember always looking forward to your very interesting articles in the keyboard player magazine . I have kept all the magazines they still make good reading .
I will download and try your freeplay style over this weekend .
Do Freeplay styles have an intro and ending ? just curious ..........once again many thanks for your help

regards .........Giovanni

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 23 Mar 2016, 23:16

Yes they do just the same as the ordinary styles.

Tyros 5 and S970.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » 24 Mar 2016, 07:46

Thanks Eileen for your reply ....most appreciated ....Giovanni