Printing Music

Chris

Printing Music

Post by Chris » 25 Sep 2016, 15:27

I frequently play music from the Easy Keyboard Library series of books and they sound great. They are often however shortened versions of a song and sometimes the 'middle eight' or the normal correct ending is missing ( mainly due I suspect from the music only ever being two pages long. )
I can sometimes play the ending by ear but can't always get the right chords.
I recently downloaded some free software called Crescendo Musical Notation to my pc. This superb bit of software enables you to simply place (drag and drop) notes (crotchets, quavers, minims etc or rests) onto the stave and then print it out. As generally the ending of a song is only a few bars, it can easily be printed and then pasted into the music book. Similarly a 'middle eight' can be printed and glued in the right place in the book. Obviously you need to write down the notes and chords you have found to sound right beforehand, but the resulting printed form is much easier to read when playing.
Chris

Daikatana

Re: Printing Music

Post by Daikatana » 25 Sep 2016, 18:44

I use MuseScore (https://musescore.org/) for my sheets.
I'ts open source and I like it very much

Aad

Brian007

Post by Brian007 » 27 Sep 2016, 08:27

Hi Chris,

I have often looked at that piece of software and wondered if it was any good ?
but seems to work for you so will probably give it a try, Is it completely free ?

Brian007 8-) 8-)

Eileen

Post by Eileen » 27 Sep 2016, 10:30

Yes Brian it is free.

Genos and S970.

Brian007

Post by Brian007 » 27 Sep 2016, 16:14

hi Eileen,

Well if its free I will definitely give it a go :lol: :lol:

Brian007 8-)

andyg

Post by andyg » 27 Sep 2016, 17:47

It's free, does the job and the results are perfectly readable, but the appearance of the scores will only really be 'acceptable'. The more experience you have with it the better the appearance gets, but 'acceptable' is about as far as it goes. If that's all you need, and for most people it probably is, then Musescore 2 is ideal. And it's free, so you can't really complain!

If you find yourself doing a lot of rearranging, then I'd suggest that at some point you eventually bite the bullet and get Sibelius First. many of the key commands were 'stolen' from Sibelius when they were writing Musescore so the change isn't painful. However the appearance with Sibelius First is better and the layout easier to control. It's also a better developed programme - Sibelius has been around for many years, and its heritage shows.

The other 'entry level' offering from the big boys is Finale Print Music. Another excellent programme, though something of a learning curve if you're coming from Musescore.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com

Roland

Post by Roland » 28 Sep 2016, 01:16

Hello Chris,

I can very much support Andy's advise. Some time back, I was looking into a programme for that too and got some great advise from Andy after which I went ahead and purchased Sibelius First. And I am glad I did ! While I am definitely not a pro at notations - I find it totally solid, clean and well worth its quite reasonable price.

Why not give the free Musescore a try first and then if you feel it's not exactly what you're aiming for, go for Sibelius First.

Cheers, Roland
Tyros 3, Motif XF8, Cubase
​I've finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side there is nothing left :D

plumbo

Post by plumbo » 28 Sep 2016, 09:21

Hi Chris,
I Too suggest you heed the advice from Andy & Rowland.
Once you move on from the free software (a good launch pad) you will get a feel for it's limitations and then realy appreciate what the commercial softwares offer.

John

Brian007

Post by Brian007 » 28 Sep 2016, 16:15

Hi ALL,

Thanks for all your helpful comments, all your recommendations are noted.

Brian007 8-) 8-)