transposing music score

Musicman123

transposing music score

Post by Musicman123 » 04 Dec 2016, 19:28

Ive always wanted to be able to transpose music on paper ,is there anyone out there can tell me how to do it ,I read music but I keep it simple , I just remember lots of cords , so any books or even apps that can help will be great

Stu musicman123

Eileen

Re: transposing music score

Post by Eileen » 05 Dec 2016, 14:30

Try something like this. There are other programmes out there also.

https://musescore.org/node/11708

Tyros 5 and S970.

andyg

Re: transposing music score

Post by andyg » 05 Dec 2016, 21:03

You mean you want to transpose what's in a book into another key?

Route 1 - download Musescore, install and run it. Learn how to input the music - you're copying what's there, note for note. Then use the transpose function to shift it into the new key. (This does assume that you know what key you want to move into!) Finally, print it out.

Route 2 - study music theory, working your way up to grade 5, which deals with the three main types of transposition ( +/- major 2nd; +/- minor 3rd; +/- perfect 5th. This will also let you do major 6ths and perfect 4ths as, for example, a perfect 5th up will be the same notes as a perfect 4th down). Find an obliging teacher who will show you the shortcuts to writing things out - not one who just tells you to get on with it! Then apply what you've learnt to different transpositions, like minor 2nds, major 3rds etc.

Route 1 is faster, albeit with a learning curve on the software, but you never really know exactly what you're doing as the machine does the work! Route 2 is harder but is bomb-proof and you can write things out on paper when you don't have a computer to hand! And when you do use the computer you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

With my students, the younger ones usually go route 2 and the older ones seem to prefer route 1!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.
www.andrew-gilbert.com